New York Seltzer Plastic bottle crate

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
had our large community yard sale here today , made a few finds , first one I'm going to post is for a plastic bottle crate I found at a yard sale , guy saw me looking at it and gave it to me for free

its for " New York Seltzer " , I'd say from 80's or early 90's , according to markings on it , was made in Canada
fits very large bottles , much larger than the small stubby's , I'm used to seeing from this company . searched around online and didn't really see anything similar

P6030004.jpgP6030005.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
Maybe it fit the bigger Seltzer bottle but seems kinda new for that? LEON.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Yeah I don't think New York Seltzer ever came in actual seltzer bottles, as far as I know it only started in the 80's. It was pretty trendy for a while but I don't think it survived past 2000. Seltzer bottles weren't used particularly late in Canada anyway, I don't think they lasted past the 30's, unlike the US where I think they remained in use into the 50's in some places.

My theory for this crate is that it held a couple layers of those little bottles, with some sort of divider in between. I don't think New York Seltzer ever had a large bottle.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I got a New York Seltzer bottle but it must be different then the ones your talking about. Are the ones you talking about have a scene of the New York skyline pictured on the bottle? LEON.

NewYorkSelzerBottleDetroit.jpg

Last edited:

Canadacan

Reaction score
looks like it was for the 750ml bottles....Here is my Coke crate for reference. I can't remember if there was a 750ml glass bottle as I only ever drank it out of the little 300ml ones. What size is that crate?...that will tell the tale, possibly it was for plastic 2 litre.

Coke plastic crarte2.jpgCoke plastic crate1.jpg

Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
looks like it was for the 750ml bottles....Here is my Coke crate for reference. I can't remember if there was a glass bottle as I only ever drank it out of the little 300ml onnes. What size is that crate?...that will tell the tale, possibly it was for plastic 2 liter.

it does appear to be for 750ml bottles , based on its size and height , does anyone know if New York Seltzer used 750 ml bottles ? I can't recall seeing one but not that familiar with the company

its also possible as mentioned above it actually held the little stubby bottles and maybe a piece of cardboard or smaller plastic piece is missing

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I got a New York Seltzer bottle but it must be different then the ones your talking about. Are the ones you talking about have a scene of the New York skyline pictured on the bottle? LEON.
No that one is completely unrelated. This New York Seltzer started in the early 1980's and looked like this:New York Seltzer.jpg It was apparently recently brought back but I've never seen it for sale.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
So from what I've been able to find New York Seltzer was a franchise and most likely never had big bottles. They were also sold in those plastic-ring six-packs, like cans. My best guess is that this is a case designed for 750ml bottles used by a local franchisee that didn't have access to any sort of crate specially designed for the little ones. You could probably fit four six-packs into one of those cases without needing to use a divider.
Another less likely possibility is that it was used by a New York Seltzer bottler for a different product. There were still a few local bottlers selling their own lines of soda in Canada in those days. One of them could have distributed New York Seltzer.

hemihampton

Reaction score
Yeah, I've seen those newer bottles before, they do have the New York Skyline I mentioned. LEON.

RCO

Reaction score
found a new York seltzer bottle the other day , appears to have been in the park for some time , was under some leaves and only partially visible . for lemon lime drink and label has faded a lot from its original lime colour , however only the second time I have found one of these bottles which would of been used in late 80's or early 90's

P7310001.jpgP7310002.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi