Old Ball Jar

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

endee

Reaction score
I have an old Ball jar that is different from others I've seen. It's approximately 9" tall and 4 1/2" at the base; the mouth is about 2 1/4". The word Ball on it looks handwritten. The seam on the sides go up to what appears to be an applied neck (don't know if I'm using the correct terms - the part that the lid screws onto), and that seam is offset about an inch from the side seams. On the bottom there is a V above the valve mark and three raised dots below the valve mark. The glass also seems thinner than other Ball jars I've seen. If anyone can give me any information about this jar it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Attachments

• 018.jpg
    018.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 131
  • 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 134
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 124
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 114

foxfirerodandgun

Reaction score
You have what is often called a Triple "L" Ball jar. The third "L" is the loop in the formation of the ascender. That logo was used from 1900 until 1910. This link may be of help in dating Ball jars based on their logo. https://www.wikihow.com/Date-Old-Ball-Mason-Jars.

The "V" could very possibly be the mold number (5). I do not have much to offer pretending to the neck or neck seam although it does appear to be one that was applied and not originally formed when to bottle was. I hope this is of some help.

James

whittled

Reaction score
Everything that was made with a threaded neck was made in a full height mold, sometimes blown by mouth, sometimes machine made, the presence of a ground mouth does not say which. Yours with the suction scar and offset seam says machine made. You can't say for sure what year it was made in but the logo styles did change, the mold may have been cleaned and used for years after.
A 2¼" opening sounds like what is "politically incorrectly" called a "midget jar".

Ken_Riser

Reaction score
Everything that was made with a threaded neck was made in a full height mold, sometimes blown by mouth, sometimes machine made, the presence of a ground mouth does not say which. Yours with the suction scar and offset seam says machine made. You can't say for sure what year it was made in but the logo styles did change, the mold may have been cleaned and used for years after.
A 2¼" opening sounds like what is "politically incorrectly" called a "midget jar".
Nice clear glass looks blown don't it not sure tho I have a lamb Mason jar come to find out I didn't have every jar made his old partner not sure how old but other bottles found there no corks around not that old prob but alooot Heinz baby food bottles not sure where factory was but some reason way to many for just a farmer's field dump on edge of field even have one look screw top lid new bottle lol seeya groveport Ohio shastas close tho still today not sure if they made Heinz baby food tho for Heinz missing Oklahoma better corky Kenny we gone retired command sargmajor major army scout now got plenty old spots and plenty time to do it lol

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum