Welcone to the Jungle Privy part 3. Some KILLER bottles in this hole. OMG.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
After finding 7 or 8 nice Cobalt Blue Hutches in 1 hole about 4 or 5 years ago was not sure If I could top that. BUT, This hole may of done it. First we dug 1 privy & then a 2nd we tunneled into it next to it. But Yesterday we broke through a wood wall on far side of 2nd privy & to our surprise was more bottles on the other side of wood wall. Meaning a 3rd privy next to the 2nd. Seems they used the same wall for both privy's. But now with a 5 foot overhang of dirt above you & being 6 to 7 feet down, I tell the other diggers we better start a new hole on top for safety reasons. So we start digging. But this 3rd hole has tons of roots big & small & clay restricting our hole size. The other digger is short & small so he don't mind the small opening. We get 4-5 feet down & start hitting glass shards but nothing special. After a while I get in, then he gets back in but just some common stuff coming out of hole. Then I hear him start screaming in the hole OH MY GOD, OH MY GOD, I CAN'T BELIEVE IT. I jump up off my Lazy Boy Reclining Couch (one of 3 or 4 left behind by trash dumpers in this god forsaken desolate gang & crack infested wasteland of a ghost town) to see what all the excitement is. His hand comes out of the hole & in it is a Beautiful site. One I never seen before & never thought we would ever dig. The Super Rare elusive AMBER John Koch Michigan Bottling Works Detroit Michigan Hutch. As far as I know Amber Hutches are rare from any state. Much rarer then the Cobalt Blue hutches. This 1st pic is Eric coming out of 1st hole after digging a Cobalt Blue hutch from 2nd hole. LEON. P1070243.jpgP1070246.jpg AmberKochHutch.JPG

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
Pic of the 3 holes & my Couch. Some of you may be saying that's it, that's all you found. The story gets better. LEON.3Privys.jpgLazyBoyCouch.jpgPrivy3.jpg

sunrunner

Reaction score
now this is real privy digging . don't try this at home.

Ken_Riser

Reaction score
Nice know nothing about that bottle but exciting as hell sweet

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

diggansearch

Reaction score
wow!! Congratulations, for the find (Aan odd neat one) and ..the tunnel. Don´t forget the precautions. Try always a way to help someone in there. Very dangerous, and more after a earth quake or rain. Alex.

sandchip

Reaction score
Great find, Leon! Are you using Sanborns to track down these privies?

nhpharm

Reaction score
You're holding us in suspense Leon! What's the rest of the story?

hemihampton

Reaction score
Great find, Leon! Are you using Sanborns to track down these privies?

Yes & No. When me & Tom probed this same lot about a couple hundred times a few years ago we used sanborns but could not find these privy's back then. Now digging the same lot with another guy I think we found these 3 privy's by accident. Because first privy was a dud with nothing in it. But before sticking a fork in it to call it done & a dud I probed downwards & on a angle in one corner to feel massive crunchy on my probe. Good sign. Looks like I found a privy next to this dud. Then another was next to that one & then another. Couldn't really feel anything from probing from the top. I think mainly because all 3 of these Privy's had most of the bottles & the good bottom layer of the privy starting at 5 feet & going to 7 feet. Our probes are only 5 feet long. I don't think we were reaching the good stuff. Plus just north of these 3 Privy's my Sanborn showed a Privy but it is solid hard as a rock clay in that whole area. To hard to probe. LEON.

Last edited:

hemihampton

Reaction score
"Awesome!!!!! Waiting for the rest of the story. Good Ol' Detroit!"

"You're holding us in suspense Leon! What's the rest of the story?"

OK, I was waiting for some one to ask that Question. There was 3 of us digging. 2 of us diehard Detroit Hutch collectors. With only this one found what to do? The other guy wants to buy the other 2 out. Offers us big bucks. I want it more & offer more to the other 2. A real Dilemma, what to do? I say if we could dig another one we'd both get one & be happy. So he keeps digging up a storm & no more, Not looking good. Dissapointed & discouraged the other digger poops out & wants a break. I get in & as soon as I do WHOOOOAAAA, I see what appears to be a Amber hutch partially buried revealing it's self. I grab my camera for in situ shot & we all cross our fingers & hope it's not broken. I pull it out & it's not broken. We High five & say cool, no more fighting on who gets the one. Couldn't get much better then that. OR could it????????????P1070255.jpgP1070257.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu