Monroe County PA milk bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

houseman

Reaction score
GOULD BROS. EFFORT, PA.
These not-so-common bottles are from the west end of the county. The embossed bottles are Thatchers from the early 30's. The pyro bottles are from the early 40's. I not seen a pyro pint from this dairy, but I have seen quarts and half pints like I have here and with "Gould Bros." next to the tree.

Attachments

• Gould Bros.jpg
    Gould Bros.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 209

houseman

Reaction score
JOS. A. POPE TOBYHANNA, PA.
Joseph Pope's bottles are scarce. They are the only bottle I know of from Tobyhanna.
He operated in the 30's-40's. This is a Thatcher bottle dated 1940.

Attachments

• Pope.jpg
    Pope.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 195

houseman

Reaction score
BUCKWOOD DAIRY SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, PA.
The Buckwood Inn was a popular resort in Shawnee. I believe it was destroyed by a flood in 1955.
These are earlier bottles. The quart and half pint are Thatcher bottles with the half pint dated 1928. The pint is a "BESTOV" bottle which could pre-date 1920.
I have seen pints with the round embossing like the quart and half pint here, but I have not seen a quart or half pint with the straight embossing on this pint. Are they out there?

Attachments

• Buckwood Dairy.jpg
    Buckwood Dairy.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 199

houseman

Reaction score
These are the other two bottles I know of from Shawnee.

ECHO VALLEY FARM RAW MILK SHAWNEE ON THE DELAWARE, PA.
IRVIN L. ALLEGAR SHAWNEE ON DELAWARE, PA.

I really never found any information on the Echo Valley Farm. A few quarts turned up in the late 90's and they have rarely come onto the market since. Mine is a Thatcher bottle dated 1943.
Irvin Allegar operated in the 30's and 40's, but this bottle is not dated.

Attachments

• Echo Valley & Allegar.jpg
    Echo Valley & Allegar.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 237

houseman

Reaction score
WILLOW SPRING DAIRY CANADENSIS, PA. ALLEN D. PRICE
This is a scarce bottle from the tiny town of Canadensis. I believe Allen Price was in business for some time, as he later added "& SON" to his bottles, but the bottles are not at all common.
This is a Thatcher bottle dated 1934.

Attachments

• Willow Spring Dairy.jpg
    Willow Spring Dairy.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 223

houseman

Reaction score
DETRICK BROS. SNYDERSVILLE, PA.
The Detrick's were in business for quite a long time. The embossed quart and half pint are dated 1929 and 1928 respectively, while the pint is dated 1945! The various configurations of the pyro bottles show they were in business well into the 1960's.
Although I don't really focus on the later rectangular half gallons, this one with the carnival barker guy was just too cool to pass on!

Attachments

• Detrick Bros.jpg
    Detrick Bros.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 188
  • Detrick Bros pyro.jpg
    Detrick Bros pyro.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 203

houseman

Reaction score
The Buck Hill Falls Company was another resort like the Buckwood Inn. Buck Hill Falls is in the northern part of the county near Canadensis. There are three distinct varieties of Buck Hill Falls Co bottles and they are easily dated and put in chronological order:

PROPERTY OF BUCK HILL FALLS CO. (block letters) are the earliest. These three are dated 1920 and have the early TMFGCO logo on the base.
THIS BOTTLE THE PROPERTY OF BUCK HILL FALLS CO. (script letters) came next. This bottle has the small T.M.C. logo on the front under the slug plate that Thatcher used in the early 1920's.
THIS BOTTLE PROPERTY OF BUCK HILL FALLS CO. (block letters) was the last version. It was in use for some time and these bottles are dated 1922, 1928, and 1931.
The two earlier versions are pretty scarce, although they are both known in all three sizes. The later version is very common.

Attachments

• Buck Hill Falls Co 1.jpg
    Buck Hill Falls Co 1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 196
  • Buck Hill Falls Co 2.jpg
    Buck Hill Falls Co 2.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 205

houseman

Reaction score
G. H. SNYDER STROUDSBURG, PA.
Well, we know George Snyder was in business for at least 20 years, given that both of these embossed bottles are dated 1934 and both of the pyro bottles are dated 1954!
They are not uncommon bottles, but I don't have a half pint either embossed or pyro. The pyro bottles have a nice design. Both have the same designs on the front and back, so I showed one of each side in this picture.

Attachments

• Snyder.jpg
    Snyder.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 192

houseman

Reaction score
SPRING BROOK DAIRY FLORY E. STROUDSBURG, PA.
and
FLORY EAST STROUDSBURG, PA.
The "Spring Brook Dairy" bottle is the earliest and is quite scarce. This pint is a Thatcher bottle dated 1919. The other pint is dated 1933, so we know the Flory's were in the dairy business for a long time. I used to have some good research on this dairy. Hopefully I'll find it and update this post one day!

Attachments

• Flory.jpg
    Flory.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 197

houseman

Reaction score
POCONO HAY-VEN THE CREST OF HEALTH MT. POCONO, PA.

Pocono Hay-Ven was a health spa and resort operating in the 1930's in Mount Pocono. The gill and half pint are the only sizes I've seen, so I am thinking they only used these bottles within the resort itself and didn't sell milk to the outside.
The gill is the only gill I know of from anywhere in the county. It is a Thatcher bottle dated 1933.
The half pint was produced by Owens in Clarion, PA in 1933.

Attachments

• Pocono Hay-Ven.jpg
    Pocono Hay-Ven.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 189

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora