Monroe County PA milk bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

MarkWiley

Reaction score
Family Farm

C.A.Wiley is Charles Allen Wiley and was my great grandfather. My grandfather Allen Wiley grew up on the farm and deliver the milk every morning by horse and wagon. The horse knew the route and would walk down the street while my grandfather would run door to door delivering the milk. My grandfather probably delivered the bottles you own. The farm was in East Stroudsburg and is a kennel club today.

MAPLE IN THE PINES WILEY & SONS
These don't have a town name, but they are from Stroudsburg. They probably seem scarcer than they actually are because people may not know where they're from. C.A. Wiley & Son are listed in the Monthly Bulletin of the PA Department of Agriculture in 1919 as being in Stroudsburg and selling unadulterated milk.
The bottles pictured here are all Thatcher bottles from the 1920's. I also have a pint dated 1919 with the TMFGCO logo on the base.

MarkWiley

Reaction score
Photo of entrance to Maple-in-the-Pines

See attached photo

Attachments

• IMG_0161.JPG
    IMG_0161.JPG
    79.7 KB · Views: 318

houseman

Reaction score
Thanks to everyone who checked out my collection and thanks for the replies.

Mark Wiley--That's such a cool story to hear! One of the reasons I decided to post my collection was the hope that it would draw out some stories like yours. I love hearing the history and family connections. Of course the bottles are old, but we have to remember that we're really only one or two generations away from these people!
Is it safe to assume you have some of their bottles? Have you ever seen any that are different than the ones I posted. Those are the only types I've seen, except that the oldest one I have with the 1919 date doesn't have the gripper on the neck.
Where in East Stroudsburg exactly was the dairy? I love the picture, but the area has changed so much you can't even use the landmarks in a lot of the old pictures of the area.

dptjr

Reaction score
The Hineline Brothers dairy was my wife’s great grandfather’s and was located where the fields across from the ESU field house to 447. Do you have photos of the bottles you have in your collection? I am currently unable to see the photos you originally posted. Thanks!

houseman

Reaction score
Hi. Thanks for looking and for the information about the Hineline Dairy!
These are the bottles I have...a quart, pint, and half pint. This is the only style bottle I’ve seen from the dairy and every bottle I’ve seen with a date has been from 1942. I’m guessing they didn’t use too many bottles. Have you seen anything different?

Attachments

• AD861BB3-EFD9-48B9-A8E0-FFEC03A67890.jpg
    AD861BB3-EFD9-48B9-A8E0-FFEC03A67890.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 289

yacorie

Reaction score
I grew up in reeders but haven’t found any bottles from there. Curious if you Have you seen any?

Thanks and great looking bottles you’ve posted

dptjr

Reaction score
Those are the only style bottles, I have seen. My father in law has a complete set, as well as the bottle caps. If you are ever interested in selling those, please let me know. Thanks!

houseman

Reaction score
Yacorie--thanks for checking out my bottles! No I have not seen a bottle from Reeders. Bartonsville and Scotrun are the nearest towns I've seen milk bottles from. There's a pontiled soda from Tannersville and I saw a labeled medicine bottle from there also.

dptjr--I'm not looking to sell these three but I think I have an extra quart somewhere that I was keeping for a trader. I'll have to look to be sure. Maybe we can work something out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger