Unusual Peptenzyme

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

westKYdigger

Reaction score
Still digging in the 1920's dump & came across this cobalt Peptenzyme. Not that unusual except for the mold marks on the sides.
This is a BIM, so would the marks on the sides be from a snap case, or are they part of the mold wall?

nhpharm

Reaction score
Looks to me like the mold wall had some repairs.

sandchip

Reaction score
Yeah, either that or some embossing was peened out.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
X2 on peening. That looks like there was writing that someone wanted out for some reason. Change of business address or ownership?

Jim G

nhpharm

Reaction score
I don't think it was embossing being peened out...this bottle is pretty standard and the embossing you see on it is all the embossing they had. I think it is just some repair to the mold.

botlguy

Reaction score
It looks to me like they tried embossing vertically, couldn't get it in, peened or cut / ground it out (repaired the mold) then embossed it diagonally on another side.
Jim S.

westKYdigger

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. All good ideas, I'm leaning toward mold repair, since the impression on the left side (first picture) have what looks like pins that would hold an inserted piece of metal in place. The other side also has much fainter pin impressions. Does anyone have an example of snap case impressions left on a body?

saratogadriver

Reaction score
If it's a repair, it's interesting to see that, even at that fairly late date pre automatic bottle machine (I'm assuming the bottle is around 1890) that they were still repairing molds. I knew a lot of that happened in the pontil era, as molds were considered expensive and required quite a bit of hand work to make. Guess that was still all true right before the advent of ABM.

Jim G

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora