Help identify an old insulator, Please

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

knowsnot

Reaction score
Hello
First-timer here.
Can anyone tell me anything about this insulator ?
It was in among my Dad's things.
What is this type 20170718_122239.jpg20170718_122341.jpg20170718_122438.jpg called ?
What was it used for ?
How old might it be ?
Who might have made it and where ?
It's 3 1/4" tall, 4" wide, 3 1/8" "front" to "back".
My Dad was an Canadian electrical engineer, a grad of U of T, 1933.
Now to try an attach some photos...
Well, that seemed to work.
Thanks in advance for any and all help !

143Tallboy

Reaction score
Hi, Fellow Canadian here and an insulator collector. These are extremely common in Ontario and likely all through Canada and the USA. They are used on a metal rack that holds 3 of them for electrical service drops usually to homes. There's usually 2 120 V lines and a neutral to each home, that's why they come in threes. Like I said, very common as every home would essentially have 3 of them. Not sure about the manufacturer, sounds like it has some sentimental value though coming from your dad's possessions. I would guess they were used from about 1940's right up to the 1970's or '80's. Nowadays they use a cable that has the 3 insulated wires and a support cable all in one, usually terminating on the house at a single porcelain spool.

Last edited:

knowsnot

Reaction score
Hello 143Tallboy
Thank you for replying.
Is there some sort of name for this ? It seems a difficult shape to attach any sort of nickname to !
I assume it would have been bolted to the rack then through those top-to-bottom holes and the wire run through the middle.
Some things have sentimental value for me, some don't. This is among the latter, but I have wondered what made him keep this.
It may be a keepsake he acquired when the farm was electrified. (It was relatively late), or perhaps when electrical service was updated there.
His work was always with Industry, as opposed to residential.
Thanks again !

BillinMo

Reaction score
Welcome to ABN.

I agree with 143Tallboy about the ID. Normally these are called wire holders but they come in a variety of patterns. The chocolate brown glaze is typical for the 1940s through 1960s. The CLM triangle logo is for Canadian Line Material Co. in Scarborough, Ontario.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi