Dug Shaker / Bottle circa 1930s-1950s. C.G.CO. mark - unknown . Input , diggers?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DavidW

Reaction score
G-C-CO-two-examples-shakers.jpgHi all,
I recently found 2 examples of a clear 10-paneled bottle, evidently a shaker, and I am wondering if it was (maybe) also sold in stores containing prepared mustard?? I discuss this shaker on my site, on this page:
https://www.glassbottlemarks.com/glass-containers-inc-1933-c-1984/
Please scroll down to the paragraph headed "SUGAR SHAKER" . (I found a second one several weeks after posting that picture and article).

Both containers were found in a dump area that pre-dates 1953. (A construction project had uncovered lots of bottles and debris from a former dump that had been covered over and turned into a park circa 1953) and I was looking around for anything worth saving (OK, there wasn't much of interest to a pre-1900 collector, but I wasn't too choosy and saved a few items from the mid-20th century)

Anyway, I know this is a relatively "modern" and "how hum" clear container but I am trying to find any additional info I can on the mark "G.C.Co" on the base. (Not C G CO, I typed it wrong in the subject heading). I think that mark MIGHT stand for a kitchen housewares distributor or wholesaler, not a glass factory, but that is just my hunch. It seems like it should be well known, but no one seems to know what it stands for.
Several examples of this shaker have appeared on ebay but they usually have a holed lid showing they were sold as sugar shakers or parmesan cheese shakers or something along those lines! Almost looks like something that would be on a restaurant table.

SO, have any of you dump diggers dug this same container? Approximately what year would you estimate it is from, if you have dug one of these?

I thought it was just slightly odd that these were discarded, and I found two of them, since most "true" shakers (if they are not damaged) are not thrown away as frequently as most bottles are.

Take care, happy collecting and digging,
David Whitten

Last edited:

botlguy

Reaction score
I don't know anything to help you David but I want to encourage fellow members to help David out if at all possible. Use every skill you have. David has made and is making a HUGE contribution to our hobby by documenting maker's marks. Thanks David.
Jim Sinsley

DavidW

Reaction score
Thanks Jim!
Coincidentally, I included a link to your article on the CD 147 "Spiral Beehive" insulators on my site earlier today, when answering someone who was asking about "ghost embossing" on a Brookfield insulator.
https://www.glassbottlemarks.com/brookfield-glass-company/#comment-17344

Back to these shakers...... I am beginning to think they were sold as generic spice jars, and in some (or most?) cases sold with the product in them, on retail grocery store shelves. Case in point: here's a similar jar/shaker (six-sided, not 10-sided) but it bears an original grocery label for CELERY SALT. Although in that case, the glassmaker was Hazel-Atlas Glass Company.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-HY-...-ST-JOSEPH-MISSOURI-ADVERTISING-/311910241300?
It looks very similar and is about 3 and 1/2 inches tall.
David

DavidW

Reaction score
Update: I know this thread is several years old but I wanted to add that the identity of the "G C Co" mark on these bottles/shakers has been solved. Due to research by Bob Brown, it has been discovered that the initials stand for GLASER-CRANDELL COMPANY of Chicago, Illinois. They were a condiment manufacturer/distributor, and containers marked with those initials seem to be mostly from the 1930s and 1940s. The actual glass maker is still unidentified however. Here is a webpage I have put together about the mark: https://glassbottlemarks.com/g-c-co-glaser-crandell-company-chicago-illinois/
Thanks and take care! David

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu