Coca Cola Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
The last patent-1923 was made in 1937. But I don't know if they used Design Patents in the '30s. I once saw a Coca-Cola hobbleskirt with neither Patent___ nor Design Patent on it, so maybe those ones are 1930s?
If it was made by Owen-Illinois, look at where it pinches in at the 'skirt'. If you see a <(I)> __ there, at the right is usually a two-digit number which signifies the year (i.e. 47 = 1947).

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
Can I have your first name? lol Your help is super appreciated, and I would love to know your first name! :) It does have those markings on the hobbleskirt. It says a 17 and then a 47 with that little symbol in between the numbers. And it does have the Patent D-1055529. If it has both numbers on it, what does that mean for the date?

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I am Robert, though I tend to go by Spirit or Bear online.
The 17 is the plant that made it, as Owen-Illinois had over 20 manufacturing plants. Until about 1960, they used the <(I)> symbol, but beginning in the 1950s they changed it to (I) and used only that after 1965. Usually, not always, it's Plant Code, Symbol, Date-Code. In the '30s and '40s they used a single-digit code in some cases, with the only distinguishing mark being a dot (1940s) or no dot (1930s) after that single-digit date-code to the right of their symbol. Of course, there are always exceptions, but this is in-general information.
So, your bottle is 1947 or 1948, as the 1947 mould could be used in 1948 still, and possibly beyond, but for most collectors 1947 is good enough.
The pat is, of course, just the patent they received for their bottle.

You can use the site linked below to research glass-makers sorted alphabetically over several pages. Ctrl+F is sometimes helpful to find it on his grand site, though looking through the list via alphabetical means usually is more accurate as it is punctuation and spacing specific.
https://www.glassbottlemarks.com/bottlemarks/

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
Thank you!!! I just read about it! That makes sense, and is very helpful in dating the bottle!! Now, I need to figure out what to charge for it?? lol

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
Thank you!!! That was very helpful! YAY! This is helping me move right along, I have a lot of bottles to research and price!! I really appreciate your help!!

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
That one Coca Cola hobbleskirt that sold at 5.95 is marked differently than mine. But, the one with the arrow is very close to mine! Thanks for sharing and explaining it to me!! :)

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
I looked on the hobble skirt ,it has a 17 and a 49 on it! It also has Pat-105529. Do you have any idea where I can look to get more information on any of these coke bottles? (and thank you for commenting!!)

Actually, after really looking, it is a 47, not 49! Hard to see on the glass!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MDuncum