Help! Water? Soda?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
Thank you!! So many of these bottles are a mystery! That is good to know about the tops of these though!!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
In America, the last tooled-top bottles were made in about 1925 as far as I know, and that's rare. By 1920 most plants had switched to the machines that do the work more efficiently and quickly than a three-man team. Without labels or embossing to give us any further researching information, though, we cannot say much beyond that without going into deeper speculation.

Yeah the size is weird. I've never seen anything quite like it from Canada either, although we continued making tooled-lip bottles into the 1930's. (I don't think we made tooled-lip sodas anywhere near that late though).
They don't look quite foreign enough to be from another country to me. Maybe the UK, they kept on making tooled lip soda bottles until very late, but I don't know why so many would end up in the U.S. Or maybe Mexico, I'm not sure what they were doing in Mexico in those days.

I'm wondering if they may have been sold as part of some sort of home bottling kit. That would explain why they don't look like normal soda bottles.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I have never seen this old a bottle from the UK in this shade of green and this thinness of glass. They were more crude and usually had deeper colouration. Mexico might be so?

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
I love this conversation! (and really wished I knew more about my father's collection) Thank you for all of your input, it really helps me!! :)

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I have never seen this old a bottle from the UK in this shade of green and this thinness of glass. They were more crude and usually had deeper colouration. Mexico might be so?

Yeah you're right, the shade of green looks very North American and the UK bottles were much more crude. I've never seen any bottles from Mexico apart from a hobbleskirt Coke so I have no idea what Mexican bottles looked like.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I'm not very familiar with Mexican glass, but in general it's thicker, so it may not be Mexican at all.
Who can say?

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
Well, I love the mystery behind these bottles. But, it just makes them harder to price! lol

sunrunner

Reaction score
tooled top mineral water bottles . late 1890s to 1909 or 10 . .75 cents a piece.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Sunrunner, in America, tooled tops continued into the 1920s, though rarely past the beginning of Prohibition. You rarely see tooled crown-tops before 1900 in the Northern US, and not much before 1905 for the Southern. Crowns were mostly an Eastern thing at first, just like most fancy new things.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora