Cohansey

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
This jar stands around 7" tall. I have seen many Cohansey jars with big letters, but this one has small lettering, less than 1/2 inch. Again, I have no information on this. How old it is? What should I price it? No chips, but it was covered in paint. It has taken me 3 weeks to get it as clean as it is. (I'm still working on getting the bottom of it clean as well) It has the number 35 on the bottom! Any help would be super appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Kathi

oh, and why do all of my photos load sideways? lol

Attachments

• IMG_3200.jpg
    IMG_3200.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_3201.jpg
    IMG_3201.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 93
  • IMG_3202.jpg
    IMG_3202.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3203.jpg
    IMG_3203.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3204.jpg
    IMG_3204.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

botlguy

Reaction score
These jars are pretty common in general, as far as I know the letter size has little to do with the value which I believe is about $20 - $25 without correct closure.
Jim S.

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
Thank you, Jim!! You're the best!! I may have a lid for it, I have a whole box of lids that I haven't looked at yet!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
I'm not a jar collector, but a lid and metal closure for same for this will DEFINITELY add to the value. Jar collectors seem to like the funky and wonky old closures as much as the crude jars themselves.

Jim G

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
Jim, thank you!! It does appear that way, lids and closures seem to be more desirable! I do have a box of lids, I will have to look through them to see if one fits this. I am entering my Mason Jars/fruit jars now. Holy cow, this is confusing! lol I hope someone on here knows about the various types of mason jars!!! :cool:

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I've talked to the authority on American bottle jars, and he says that in many cases, the closure for a jar is worth as much as or even is worth more than the jar itself. If you have a number of jars, you may be able to rent a copy of the Red Book for fruit-jars by Doug LeyBourne, but don't rent a copy over 2 years old as the values have changed.

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
Thank you!! I have gone to our local library to find that exact book. Not only do they not have it, but they tried to find it in the interweb to try and get it from different libraries, and nobody had it!!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Since you are not a collector, I don't recommend purchasing one. The Advanced Search (upper right of e-Bay), Sold Listings (Green) or Completed Listings (black = unsold, green = sold), may be your best route. Factor in shipping, as I stated in my other post.

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
Thank you!! I will do that! Do you know if the smaller lettering on this jar makes a difference?? I just haven't seen any with the lettering this small!!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
My friend Elmer has been for 20 years collecting bottles from my city. Upon getting most ever company (from druggist to brewer), he's now moved on to collecting by small variations as it got all the main bottles, too. For some, it matters. In common bottles and jars, though, it had better be a big difference and rare variant. I am not sure on this one, but in my opinion it wouldn't be of much concern. But, jar collecting is a different beast from bottle collecting.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger