2 Big & 1 little Warranted.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
The first one is 3 7/8". The bottle reads DUO and under that says 3 oz. The bottom says 947. The Guaranteed Full Quart measures 10 1/4". The seams are interesting on this one, as they are not centered on the sides. The Registered Full Quart is 9 1/2". Very clean and no chips. It does not sit flat. It is not clear. It is hard to tell, because sometimes it looks light ameythst and sometimes it looks a light brown color Looking to see if anyone can give me an idea of how old all 3 of them are and their worth. Everyone has been so helpful, it is much appreciated!! Thank you in advance!! :welcome:

Attachments

• IMG_3235.jpg
    IMG_3235.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_3237.jpg
    IMG_3237.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3238.jpg
    IMG_3238.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_3236.jpg
    IMG_3236.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3239.jpg
    IMG_3239.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_3242.jpg
    IMG_3242.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_3240 (2).jpg
    IMG_3240 (2).jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3231.jpg
    IMG_3231.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3232 (1).jpg
    IMG_3232 (1).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3234.jpg
    IMG_3234.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3233 (1).jpg
    IMG_3233 (1).jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Without labels or uncommon colour (i.e. citron), their value is not much. What is interesting, though, is that you have a late key-mould bottle. You can read about production methods here:
https://sha.org/bottle/bases.htm
Another interesting feature is the top on the Registered one. Not sure what to call that top, though the flat side is known as a strap side. Likely all circa 1890s to 1910s. By, I think, 1907, it was mandatory to put on the glass or on the label the amount of contents in the bottle, to prevent intentional deception.

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
Thank you!! Okay, so the Registered one is a different color. Sometimes in the light is looks light amethyst, and other times it looks a light brown?? Does that mean anything? Also, the Guaranteed one won't sit flat, if that means anything!! I would love your opinion on pricing if you're comfortable giving me a ballpark!! Any thoughts on the little one?

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
The pink or purple you may see is due to Manganese in the glass. Back in the 1890s till about 1920, American glass manufacturers used some oxide of Manganese to make their glass turn out clear (as chemical composition dictates colour.) The UVC (I think, as it's the most destructive of the three UV rays the sun produces) penetrates even the ground and walls and, over time, causes the Manganese to turn pink, or in more extreme cases, turn purple. We call this SCA glass. Germacidal light-bulbs and sterilising equipment can cause it to turn dark purple, which is considered damage. It can be undone with heat, but it leaves the bottle the colour of straw (and can destroy the bottle in the process.)
It takes many years to obtain a pink colour via natural routes.

At best, undamaged they may be worth up to $5 each if each is embossed. That is what I've seen people pay at flea markets. Without a solid colour (amber, citron, 'screaming yellow' -- yes, that is a colour in our books), they tend to have little to no collectible value to serious collectors, unless they have a pattern (research 'basket weave flask) or interesting embossing (some have cheery little sayings embossed into the glass).

That it doesn't sit upright well is a manufacturing defect. I have one bottle that is only of any interest to me as it is the crudest machine-made bottle ever.
The bottle is full of bubbles, is at an angle, had glass leak out of the mould and leave sharp points, and has other strange affects of a bad manufacture. Your bottle exhibits normal defects.

Little ones may be pocket flasks, like my tiny pocket flask seen here with normal-sized flasks:
http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/215103-pre-prohibition-brandy-labeled

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
I am so impressed by you and your knowledge. :) I think you should write a book!! :)

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I am a writer, though I don't write for the bottle world. There are more books than you may think there'd be out there on bottles and how they are made. There are a few magazines dedicated to bottle history.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
I've been in this hobby 3-4 years. I've been in college for two so far. I've studied and learned more on bottles, companies, and manufacturing than I have on my general studies at the CC! LOL. I've read all the main studies and resources, am in regular contact with a few authorities in this field, and do historical research, which all culminates into a decent understanding. I often disagree with many others who think that the 'usual' is the rule-- example: Many think applied-top bottles in American alcohol, water, and soda-pop ended in the 1870s. Through empirical and historical research, I'd suggest that, in general, Northern and Eastern glass-works did, but the damaged South and distant West was slower to change over. At some point here, hear-say lead everyone to believe a particular bottle was a sauce. I found an 1860s ad with an engraving of the exact bottle that proved otherwise-- turned out to be a 'beer of health'! LOL. The sauce idea likely stemmed from the bottle being reused by another company at a later date (we call them 'stolen', hence many bottles later in the 1800s and early 1900s say, This Bottle Not to Be Sold). Beer of health-- yummy! LOL.

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
Oh my gosh, see, it is so confusing!! lol That is exactly why I joined this forum. I needed collectors advice, because I have only been learning for several weeks. It is a lot to learn and remember!! I will be posting more bottles, maybe even some I have priced already, just to make sure I am on point!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp