The B bottles. What do they stand for?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DavidW

Reaction score
How did you get your bottles so clean? I've used bleach and it still doesn't get everything.

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

Hi Aprillyn,
Here are a few ideas for cleaning bottles........none of them work in ALL cases, but just some ideas to fall back on:

1) Use a set of small bottle brushes. I bought a set of 4 small brushes on ebay, they were imported from China but they are inexpensive........ and will fit inside some very small bottles like medicine vials, merthiolate bottles, perfumes, thin test tube vials, etc.

2) In bottles large enough for it to fit, use *small* size aquarium gravel, about 1/4, 1/3 or 1/2 full, along with room temp or lukewarm water, and shake gently. Usually if there is some soiling on the inside, most of it will come off after some good shaking.

3) Use oxalic acid (ingredient in some brands of WOOD BLEACH or DECK CLEANER). Check the label to make sure. A cheaper, diluted form of oxalic acid is in the form of BAR KEEPERS FRIEND, sold next to AJAX, pour one container and mix with water in 5-gallon bucket, let bottles soak in solution for 24 hours or more. Use plastic or rubber gloves. Oxalic Acid is used to clean dirty black train-soot-covered insulators, and can be good for dug bottles.

4) In some small bottles with a few limited areas of crusty stains or spots on the inside that don't want to come clean with aquarium gravel, try using a small paint can lid opener (the small thin metal thingy that they always have in the hardware stores in paint section) insert it and GENTLY rub the "bent end" against the inside of bottle filled partly with soapy water. Worth a try, just be gentle.

Keep in mind that a lot of bottles will have some inside or outside stain that cannot be removed just by cleaning.......it is a symptom of "sick glass" and can never be completely cleaned with normal methods. That thin whitish stain can not be removed without "tumbling". Most bottles that only have minor collectible value are not worth tumbling. Just enjoy them as is, and remember the light staining is just an additional sign of age.......from being underground for a long time.

Hope this helps!
David

Kathi Groh

Reaction score
I am fortunate that many of the bottles were in great shape, just needed to wash the dirt off of them. All I'm using is water and bottle brushes!

aprillyn

Reaction score
Thank you all. I try it.

Sent from my SM-J320VPP using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member