Master Ink 12 sided, 9 1/2 by 4 1/2 any info

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Here's Ed and Lucy Faulkner's website, with some great ink articles. http://www.bottlegeezer.com/featured-inks.html

Apparently their 2nd edition is out of print due to printing costs. Damn shame. They aren't the catalogue of ink bottles that Covill is but they are color, with a LOT of research on ink manufacturer's and sellers and they cover much more mid-western and western stuff than Bill Covill did. Mr. Covill was New England and his book is from back in the 60s before the internet and the expansion of bottle collecting outside of confined areas.

Again, GREAT ink. One of the highest end inks I've seen on here in a long time. Sadly, beyond my collecting budget, otherwise I'd be begging...m LOL

Jim G

sandchip

Reaction score
I haven't seen one sell in recent memory. It would be an in excess of thousand dollar bottle if mint. If you are looking to sell, you should talk to one of the major bottle dealers. Heckler, or Glassworks or American Bottle Auctions would love to have something like this in an auction.

Jim G

Don't forget John Pastor's American Glass Gallery. I would have a problem recommending ABA as a result of less than favorable personal experiences in the past.

nhpharm

Reaction score
What a bottle! With some work I am sure someone could track down the manufacturer that used this particular bottle given the label fragment. It seems like it possibly read "Premium/Book Ink No.??/Made By/Wm. McPar???/Chemist/West 17th St., 4th door/from Baldwin St.". If you could figure out where there was a city that had a Baldwin St. and a West 17th St. that intersected in the 1850's, I think nailing down the full name of the fellow would be easy. Was the bottle found in Virginia?

SIMPKINS

Reaction score
Yes it was found in Virginia but I don't think it was from here. Didn't have much luck with any of the info but I'm sure it can be narrowed down.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Most likely a Connecticut glasshouse bottle, or NH. Old New England glass in all likelihood.

Neither Philly nor NY NY seem to have a Baldwin and 17th intersecting.

Jim G

nhpharm

Reaction score
Yeah...I looked at the big cities in the NE going all the way down to Baltimore and didn't have much luck. I suspect the problem is that one or the other of the streets has been renamed, so you would have to go back to the old maps. Knowing what the letter was after the "r" in McPar would help....I would have expected it to be a T but in the photo the little bit that it there almost looks like something else.

botlguy

Reaction score
I just discovered your bottle, not the same exact one, it's minus the label, in the Watt White collection catalog from 1996 - 97. It's lot #49 which sold for $1500. There is no information other than it's rare and probably made in New York or New England. Great bottle.
Jim S.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18