Topkapi deco clear glass bottle with screw cap

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ChloeC

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently broke a glass screw top bottle I bought a number of years ago that I use for milk. I looked on the bottom and, although I bought it at the Domglas factory outlet or employee store (a friend worked there) a number of years ago, it says "Topkapi" with a flipped-over 7 on the bottom along with a square with a bottle mark placed in the square diagonally. I've been searching on the internet and found eBay photos of the same type of bottle (long since sold) but I can't find any history other than NUMEROUS references to Topkapi Palace in Istanbul and no references to a specific company or glassworks. I also found fancy stained glass and a lamp. One of the eBay sellers described the design on my clear glass bottle as Art Deco which makes sense - that's why I like it It also has a very practical shape for gripping to allow safe pouring out of the contents. I've attached a photo.

I wondered if perhaps Topkapi is a school of thought/design but, if that were the case, would it have a Topkapi mark? Doesn't the mark denote the manufacturer or designer??

I was hoping your knowledgeable members might have some insight they could share.

Attachments

• s-l225 Topkapi deco bottle with screw cap.jpg
    s-l225 Topkapi deco bottle with screw cap.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 130

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I'm guessing that this was something that Domglas was distributing after buying it from a foreign country - maybe Turkey? In Domglas's sunset years they may have done distribution as well as manufacturing. It should have the Domglas logo on it if it's one of their products. I wouldn't exactly consider it art deco as it doesn't date to anywhere near the art deco era.

Ken_Riser

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently broke a glass screw top bottle I bought a number of years ago that I use for milk. I looked on the bottom and, although I bought it at the Domglas factory outlet or employee store (a friend worked there) a number of years ago, it says "Topkapi" with a flipped-over 7 on the bottom along with a square with a bottle mark placed in the square diagonally. I've been searching on the internet and found eBay photos of the same type of bottle (long since sold) but I can't find any history other than NUMEROUS references to Topkapi Palace in Istanbul and no references to a specific company or glassworks. I also found fancy stained glass and a lamp. One of the eBay sellers described the design on my clear glass bottle as Art Deco which makes sense - that's why I like it It also has a very practical shape for gripping to allow safe pouring out of the contents. I've attached a photo.

I wondered if perhaps Topkapi is a school of thought/design but, if that were the case, would it have a Topkapi mark? Doesn't the mark denote the manufacturer or designer??

I was hoping your knowledgeable members might have some insight they could share.
Weird shape Hugh cream maybe?

Sent from my LGLS676 using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi