found a Ross's Belfast bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
pulled this out of the lake , the other day . found near a dock which is beside site of an old hotel so definitely an older area .

when I first saw it , all I could see was some aqua colour glass under the sand , couldn't tell size or type of bottle . but in the past whenever I've seen that colour , I've only seen it a few times , its always been a really old turn of the century bottle .

its actually in really good condition and cleaned up well

don't really know much about it , did a bit of searching online , appears to be somewhat common ? and would of been imported here from Europe . and perhaps contained a ginger ale

I'm not sure of its exact age but the site where I found it , is very old and been busy for some time .

20170814_190644.jpg20170814_190650.jpg

Harry Pristis

Reaction score
As I understand the history, ginger ale was invented in Belfast, Ireland. The drink was a big hit in the USA, and many shiploads were imported in the late 1800s. American bottlers caught up, but "Belfast" remained a strong marketing brand.

sodasgingeralepair.jpg

nhpharm

Reaction score
Nice bottle. Irish, 1890-1910. Quite common but nice to find something from that era for sure.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Nice find! Is that the round bottom variation? Those are a bit less common than the flat bottom variations, I think. Still common but a nice find and definitely a sign that you're in the right area!

RCO

Reaction score
Nice find! Is that the round bottom variation? Those are a bit less common than the flat bottom variations, I think. Still common but a nice find and definitely a sign that you're in the right area!

its the round bottom variation , not sure how common it is , can't recall seeing that many for sale but its not a bottle I've been looking for either

RCO

Reaction score
Nice bottle. Irish, 1890-1910. Quite common but nice to find something from that era for sure.

that time frame would make sense , from what I've seen and read , there appeared to have been a tourism boom here in the years before world war 1 , there is lots of lots of postcards from that time period of the location where I found it .

don't really find a lot of bottles from that time period but have found a couple others in that lake , although not in the location I found this one , first really old bottle I've found there

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Canadian Bottles, I've never seen a flat-bottom variant. Round bottoms I see often.
Really? Odd, maybe it's a regional thing. I've only come across the round bottom varieties a couple of times. The flat bottom ones aren't perfectly flat, they're more half rounded. Like they stand up by themselves but it would help to have them in a holder that they use for the true round bottoms.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Really? Odd, maybe it's a regional thing. I've only come across the round bottom varieties a couple of times. The flat bottom ones aren't perfectly flat, they're more half rounded. Like they stand up by themselves but it would help to have them in a holder that they use for the true round bottoms.

Always fully rounded, here. Couldn't stand up if it wanted to.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu