New to this Forum and need help

Good afternoon. I just purchased a tote full of antique and vintage glass bottles at a garage sale. There must be about 100 or more bottles. I really know nothing about these bottles and just beginning to do some research. My first question is, I am not sure if I should wash them in soapy water to clean them or not. With some antiques, I understand you should not do anything to them. Secondly, what and where is the best place (web sites, books, etc.) to find information on these bottles. I was able to locate a site that showed maker marks, and was able to find information on the first two of the bottles I pulled out. They were Owen's Glass, possible 1919. Any and all information you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help.

Senior Member Bottle Master Harry Pristis's Avatar
    Welcome to the hobby, lenorahill. Congrats on your efforts to educate yourself. I recommend Cecil Munsey's book, COLLECTING BOTTLES for its vast amount of authoritative information. It's out of print, but a used copy is usually available on Amazon.com for a few dollars -- a true bargain.

This forum thrives on images of bottles, so don't neglect to show us a few of your new treasures. ----Harry Pristis

Senior Member Bottle Master Spirit Bear's Avatar
    Websites:
    This one divides alphabetically (in several sections) various maker's marks and names to help with dating:
    https://www.glassbottlemarks.com/bottlemarks/

This one is divided into many sections that let you do visual diagnostics on American utility glass (bottles) to try and figure out when they were made:
    https://sha.org/bottle/

As for cleaning them, if they are just glass, no paper or applied-colour label ( ACL, or 'painted'-looking labels), water is fine.
    Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Joshua chapter 1, verse 9.