New Urban Honey Hole

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RelicRaker

Reaction score
New development is turning earth in my area again. Perhaps an old dump. Some of today's finds...

1. Applied seal (style), pale green olive oil. Sam W. Gray Huile d'Olive. (Hoping this is not a repro.)
Sam W. Gray Huile D'Olive bottle.jpg

2. Black glass (dark green), bitters. Dr. J.G.B. Siegert & Hijos. (3-piece mold)
Siegert & Hijos bitters bottle.jpg

3. Aqua large med. Kickapoo / Indian Sagwa.
Kickapoo Indian Sagwa bottle.jpg

4. Clear small, machine oil. Sperm Sewing Machine Oil.
Sperm Sewing Machine Oil bottle.jpg

Am guessing 1870s–1890s for the site. Any additional info appreciated.

Last edited:

nhpharm

Reaction score
Great finds! I like that olive oil bottle!

botlguy

Reaction score
Those are really nice finds. You ask for input and I humbly comply. I have been a proof reader for my more intelligent post graduate family members for years so my penchant is for correct statements with proof to back them up. So please forgive me if I sound too critical.
If you look closely I believe you will find that the seal on the Olive Oil is actually part of the bottle design rather than "Applied". I cannot see it clearly but I believe that is the case. On second and third looks I'm not sure now that it's not applied. As for the dates, I see no evidence it dates as early as 1850 but it appears to be 1880s and perhaps a little earlier.
All that said, it appears you have a really nice place to hunt. Good luck and keep us up to date.
Jim S.

RelicRaker

Reaction score
Cool, thanks Jim. Anything I can look for on the bottle itself to see whether the seal is applied or part of the mold? And is there a a slang term for a faux applied seal? I'm inclined to agree about the age estimate too. Probably 1870s–90s, given the rest of the objects I'm finding.

RelicRaker

Reaction score
More artifacts from the honey hole.

Left to right...
• Aqua tall blob, slug plated, embossed: R. Williard / 336 N. 10[SUP]th[/SUP] St. Philada. / Not to be Sold

• Clear panel med with cork, embossed: Van Buskirk’s / Fragrant Sozodont / For the Teeth and Breath

• Aqua slick widemouth, likely salad dressing.

• Clear small: L. Thomas, Philada

View attachment 179683

Last edited:

botlguy

Reaction score
Cool, thanks Jim. Anything I can look for on the bottle itself to see whether the seal is applied or part of the mold? And is there a a slang term for a faux applied seal? I'm inclined to agree about the age estimate too. Probably 1870s–90s, given the rest of the objects I'm finding.
Just think what it would look like if you stuck a piece of gum on a smooth bottle. It would look like you could stick a thumb nail under an edge and lift it off. BTW, the images didn't attach with your last post

RelicRaker

Reaction score
Jim - I had another look—you're probably right about it being part of the mold. It's very uniform. By contrast, the lip has imperfections in the tooling. Oh well. And thx about the pic, I'll re-post it.

RelicRaker

Reaction score
Today's finds... again. (something got borked with the image post)

Williard, Van Buskirk, L. Thomas bottles.jpg

bottlecrazy

Reaction score
I have that exact same - and I mean exact same - olive oil bottle, except mine is Lewis M. Reitz & Co., Hulle d'olive superfine, Baltimore. Hard to believe they were not made by the same manufacturer. Nice find!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18