Senior Member Bottle Master Spirit Bear's Avatar

Newkerk Liniment Help. C. 1850.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	101_2945.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	179761
    From a Dr. James H. Newkerk. "Newkerk's Liniment." Snap-case and empontiled.

Name:	101_2948.jpg 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	179762
    For having readily available testimonies upon request, with proven results of fame, it has 0 references that I could find.
    I could find a Dr. James Newkerk in England during this time, but his middle initial was not H, and this is either American or Canadian. Assuming American.

Name:	101_2949.jpg 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	179763
    Embossed 'M' on back heel mean anything?

Can anyone find out when this liniment was around, exactly?
    Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Joshua chapter 1, verse 9.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    James H. Newkerk is a pretty distinctive name. My guess: James H. Newkerk is listed in the 1855 census as being 51 years old, living in Hurley, New York, and with no occupation (he boarded with a local farmer). However, the Newkerk family ran a store in Hurley...pure supposition but perhaps he was making a liniment to sell at his family's store?

NHPharm, thank you. That is a fairly safe guess, though only the future may tell. I wish the census records would pop up on Google for free when I search names. But all I get is Find-A-Grave. LOL.
    Have I not commanded thee? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, neither be thou dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    I belong to Ancestry.com. Expensive but worth it if you have to do a lot of research. I sell some stuff that I research and so it does pay for itself.

The library in the next town has it for free in their building, but I rarely go up that way. Thank you, NHPharm.

Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar
    That's as nice an open pontil scar as you could ask for. Killer, Bear!

Thank you, Sandchip. I collect only labeled pontils, so I cannot be picky with them as it's the label I like. This one had a very dirty label, but I was able to lighten it and clean a lot of the grime that had covered a portion of it-- thus making all that was left, become readable.

Name:	101_2554.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	78.6 KB 
ID:	180015
    Try this scar:

Name:	101_2548.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	180016

Senior Member Bottle Master CreekWalker's Avatar
    Good job! And Nice pontil scar, lol! That's a great group of labeled bottles!

Creek Walker, thank you. I have another one to post. They're all pontiled in the pic.