Identify CD Numbers on Insulators?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Star.jpg
Well, I have decided to catalog the CD numbers on my insulators (using a label maker) as a hands-on identification thing, but I realised that the one in the photo above, on the right, is not the same as the one on the left. I thought they were both CD 102, made by 'Star', but the rightmost one is taller, has a more bulbous head, and has an angled skirt unlike its neighbouring mate. What CD is it?

The same goes to the following pair. I thought they were CD 112, but one is bigger, with more of a rounded bulge, than the more square-bulged shorter one on the right. What CD are they? Different? Same? In both cases it is Star that throws me off. I know differences are expected to exist between manufacturers, but these ones caught my eye.
OVG.jpg

Thank you for any help you can give, and have a great day.

botlguy

Reaction score
Hey Bear, glad to help. In both cases the two insulators are the same CD number despite the various differences in their shape. CD 102 & CD 112. As I'm sure you know the CD means Consolidated Design. Fairly early on n the organizing of the hobby it was recognized there was a need to narrow down the ID numbers of the multitude if small or even somewhat larger differences. A guy by the name of "Woody" Woodward assumed the task and became the accepted "Guru" and remained so until just a couple of years ago. There is a new "Guru" now, I forgot his name. Anyway, the Consolidation was a way to eliminate confusion but like all other things in THIS world, it's not perfect. So, CD identification takes some learning and time and handling as many insulators as possible. A good, experienced mentor really helps. I had the best.
Jim S

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Thank you very much, Jim, for the detailed information. I just became especially hung-up on that CD 102 on right. It just had such a different appearance that I wasn't sure it was the same CD.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora