7UP Advertising Clock

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Old Wiltshire

Reaction score
ADVERTISING CLOCK

Hi, I am looking for a little help from some of the experienced ‘7UP’ collectors on here, particularly those with knowledge of the advertising pieces.
I picked up this novelty advertising clock a few weeks ago at show and sale in Corsham, Wiltshire, UK.
It is in working order (see the short video below) and has a clockwork movement with the outside frame measuring 5.9” x 3.9”.
Although the dial face is a little grubby that can be accessed and cleaned.
The brass plated frame has suffered somewhat over the years but I think that is part of its story and I will leave it as it is.

There are no manufacturer’s marks visible on the exterior.
I have not been able to check the movement for any marks or clues as that would involve removing the rear cover.
The winding key is currently screwed on solid and I don’t want to try forcing it and risk any damage.

-

-

The reason for posting here is, try as I might. I cannot find any reference or image of a similar clock.
There are numerous other 7up clocks but none found so far the same as this.
W
hat I am looking for is any information about this particular type, when was it introduced, was it produced for the US or UK market etc?
A couple of clues as to age are there in the advertising slogans.
I understand the ‘You Like It - It Likes You’ slogan seen on the bottle images was introduced in 1936 but more importantly
the ‘FRESH UP WITH SEVEN UP’ slogan seen rotating through the dial window was introduced in 1957.

This obviously points to the clock being produced either in or after 1957; it certainly has that late 50’s early 60’s look and feel to it.
Any further information would be greatly appreciated.

-

-
Short video to demonstrate the rotating advertising slogan

-

-0-​

Last edited:

nhpharm

Reaction score
That is a cool clock! Sadly I am no expert on this stuff but I know there are some folks on here that should know something.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Nice clock!...sorry I really have nothing for additional information other than to say that the bottle logo style dates from 1953-1970 approxemently.

iggyworf

Reaction score
I am a 7up collector, mostly bottles. But by no means an expert. I have never seen that one before. It is an awesome clock. Defintly late 50's as you are right about the slogan being from 1957. Without checking out what's behind the plate it might be hard to find out more about it. But I agree as to not wanting to risk messing it up. I hope we can find some info on it.

Old Wiltshire

Reaction score
-

Thanks to nhpharm, Canadacan and iggyworf for your responses, they are much appreciated.

:)

RCO

Reaction score
on the weekend I saw another odd 7up item , at an antique mall there was an older 7 up can that had been turned into a light , I should of took a picture of it , was being sold as Not Working though . basically was a can with a cord hanging out of it and a small light bulb on top of the can

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado