Todays Privy Dig. KILLER FIND OF UNKNOWN BOTTLE. OMG.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I didn't get a good pic of the top wire closure. Another digger with us was playing with the wire & broke it off when I wasn't looking. Here's the only good pic I got of it, which aint much. LEON. FrauceTopCloseUp.jpg

hemihampton

Reaction score
Another pic of it lightly cleaned. almost afraid to tumble such a rare bottle. LEON.fRAUCElIGHTLYcLEANED.jpgfRAUCELIGHTLYCLEANED2.jpgFrauceslugplatecloseup.jpg

Last edited:

nhpharm

Reaction score
It looks like it could have been a standard lightning closure. Maybe they had the bulge simply to keep the tie wire from dropping down when the bottle was open? I've seen other bottles where they did this by tooling an indent below the blob or by molding a small ring below where the tie wire would go (I've seen the ring mostly on Citrate bottles). It looks like the spacing was exactly what was needed to allow the loops to be flush with the neck of the bottle. Speaking of Citrate bottles...this one almost has this look with the diamond embossing and the trade mark designation as well as the lack of any sort of "this bottle not sold" marking. Are there any marks on the heel or base of the bottle?

MichaelFla

Reaction score
Here is a pic of one similar to the Key West bottle with the Matthews top. I think it's different from but similar to your blob neck bottle.

Here is the patent for this bottle.

botlguy

Reaction score
Well Leon, as usual you keep us all entertained with your digging finds. It's good to see after all the "goodies" you've found you still get excited about them. Congratulations on all counts. I'm curious, who got the rarity and how do you decide?
Jim S

hemihampton

Reaction score
The bummer is the rare Exposition had some slight damage but worse yet is if your ever lucky enough to find one it's only one out of a hole with 20 other common ones. This hole probably had 5 Expositions but all heavily damaged & broke except one with slight damage. To see a pile of broken Exposition shards real depressing, and once in a lifetime experience as that will probably never happen again. The 2 different Pre Pro beer bottles with partial labels must of been rare labels because none of them pictured in Bob Kays label book. LEON.

P.S. All the bottles found in that one hole date from around 1895-1905.

Last edited:

Ken_Riser

Reaction score
Today started out slow & not looking good like a lot of our Privy digs. Just digging duds but all it takes is one good privy late in day to turn it all around. I probed a nice crunchy spot next to a fence. First good bottle out of the hole was a killer rare exposition bottle. LEON.View attachment 179946
What's that bottle say old eyes lol!?

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

DanielinAk

Reaction score
Outstanding Leon. Congratulations. Killer finds for sure. I never get tired of your digs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado