Antique Bottle From Estate Sale - Need Help Identifying

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CJFerguson1973

Reaction score
Good afternoon everyone. I picked this bottle up from an estate sale. I paid $4 for it. The bottle has no markings whatsoever on it. It is is a very pale blue in color. It has many air bubbles in it as well. I have some pictures of it. If anyone can help me identify what type of bottle this is, that would be very helpful.

Attachments

• DSC02030.jpg
    DSC02030.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 246
  • DSC02032.jpg
    DSC02032.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC02031.jpg
    DSC02031.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 265
  • DSC02035.jpg
    DSC02035.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 265

hemihampton

Reaction score
I've Dug many similar bottles. Condiments maybe? Olives, ect, ect. LEON.

botlguy

Reaction score
Considered a Pickle by many and certainly some contained them. Little guys which I think they called "Gherkins". As Leon stated though, they also contained other edible delicacies.
Jim S

Harry Pristis

Reaction score

These bottles are called pickle jars because that's what they contained -- pickled cucumbers, pickled giardiniera, pickled (in brine) olives, etc.

pickles_pair.jpg[SUB][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUB]

Attachments

• pickles_gal_cath.jpg
    pickles_gal_cath.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 263

CJFerguson1973

Reaction score
Considered a Pickle by many and certainly some contained them. Little guys which I think they called "Gherkins". As Leon stated though, they also contained other edible delicacies.
Jim S

Thanks Jim! :)

DavidW

Reaction score
Pickle bottles

Good afternoon everyone. I picked this bottle up from an estate sale. I paid $4 for it. The bottle has no markings whatsoever on it. It is is a very pale blue in color. It has many air bubbles in it as well. I have some pictures of it. If anyone can help me identify what type of bottle this is, that would be very helpful.

yes, a pickle bottle..........

Pic of some similar bottles with the pickles still inside!!

http://www.messynessychic.com/2015/...dible-inside-a-150-year-old-sunken-steamboat/

Although that page has a pic of some Wells Provost & Company pickle bottles from the steamboat that sunk in 1856, the same general style of pickle bottle was made evidently from the 1850s up till 1900 or even later. Most of the smaller, "plain" types in ordinary aqua seem like they are from the 1870s-1890s. The majority are unmarked. Having an interest in Louisville glass companies, I have found pickle bottles with these marks on the base.......

F.C.G.CO. (Falls City Glass Company)

SOU G WS (Southern Glass Works)

SGW LOU KY, (same)

Also, some other marks I have seen:

W (Wormser or Wightman??)

I G CO inside diamond (Illinois Glass Co)

S B & G CO (Streator Bottle and Glass Company)

B inside a diamond (Binghamton, NY glass company)

One pickle bottle has a mark that has eluded identification: J. J. G. on the bottom. Anybody ever seen another one like that?

So can any of you bottle diggers add some more marks to this list that you have seen on the BOTTOM of these square pickle bottles?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi