old alaskan bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

tundra monkee

Reaction score
Hi, A few weeks back I was in the southern vicinity of Denali national park ( I was outside the park) on a week long solo out and about camping trip. I came across the remains of an old cabin tucked in a god awful willow patch an started poking around. The cabin, for the most part, is gone and very few things poking up to identify it as a cabin site. The first patch of moss I pulled back revealed jars of murcury, so I had a feeling this was going to be something very special, and I was right. Here are a few of the bottles that I uncovered that day and was really hoping to get some thoughts /opinions/information on what they might be. Thanks in advance for any responce
Thomas

botlguy

Reaction score
Hi Thomas, welcome to A-B.N. I've been in the vicinity that you describe and surmise that you are indeed a hardy soul. As for the bottles, in my experience Alaska bottles are generally from early 1900s on and yours appear to be no exception. The colorless / clear one with metal top seems to be some sort of food product while the others resemble medicine or perhaps are also food related. Are any embossed either on a side panel or even the bottom? That would help with the identification.
Jim S

kenaifrank

Reaction score
the Mercury you found

The Mercury you found was used in gold mining. Placed in the bottom of a Goldpan or in the riffles of a sluice box it latched on to any and all particles of gold. The miners would then heat the gold/Mercury until the Mercury vaporized and left all the fines(fine gold) behind. Still a lot of gold in the Kantishna area because the Feds kicked all the miners out and made it part of the park. I mined there in the 60's. Very, very rich ground. Both placer and hard rock gold.

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi