Is this braille on this bottle or a makers mistake...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

dygger60

Reaction score
IMG_1720.JPGI was told by the seller that it was braille writing...first I have seen if it is...I know it is one of those "Swamp Root Cures".... beautiful green though!

nhpharm

Reaction score
For sure not Braille. Not sure if they filled in the letters in the mold for some reason (maybe the mold got tired or they just wanted the embossing gone for some reason) but I have seen and dug a number of these.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Did they have to get rid of the word "cure" after the pure food and drug act and turn the mold into a label only? It would have been a recognizable "brand" that mold, so maybe they would have wanted the form but needed to lose the lettering...

Jim G

nhpharm

Reaction score
Jim,

I've seen both the remedy and the cure embossed, so they made that transition with embossed bottles. The "slick" and "peened" bottles seem to be pretty "new" (like 1915 or so), at least in the context I have dug them in.

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Interesting. I would have thought, with as much $ as they had to be making with that product, that they would have changed the mold. Guess they did. maybe that mold was getting tired towards the end...

Jim G

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora