Newbie - need help with pottery shard (Hawaii)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Honu

Reaction score
I found a pottery shard while beachcombing on the Windward side of the island of Oahu. The piece was found on the shoreline but near a stream mouth. It appears to have some age to it, and is very different from the other shards of blue & white pottery and soda bottles I have found.

The shard is about 3” x 1.5”, and about 0.25” thick. Its curved surface leads me to believe it is a vessel and not a plate. It has part of a circular impressed design. The design is an animal (lion?) in profile standing on his back legs, wearing a crown. Around the animal are the letters “E L T E”. Unfortunately the shard is cracked and any more letters in this word are lost.

I am simply curious and wish to identify and date it if possible.

Anyone have an idea? Mahalo and many thanks! :)

IMG_0986.jpg

nhpharm

Reaction score
German mineral water bottle. 1870-1910's era. Would have looked like this.

Attachments

• 7073673185_9e53ef5ebc_o.jpg
    7073673185_9e53ef5ebc_o.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 206

Honu

Reaction score
German mineral water bottle. 1870-1910's era. Would have looked like this.

nhpharm: Thanks for the reply. Germany! Such a distance away! Your photo shows a fine specimen! Did you dig it, or was it a barn find?! What part of the country did you find your bottle?

Please also provide me your source of information for the “1870-1910’s era” dating.

nhpharm

Reaction score
That isn't one of mine, but I've dug a pile of them in Galveston, Texas over the years (probably 40-50 of them over the last 5 years). It was very popular here and the jugs tend to survive well. Sadly they don't have much value...I put them out at the bottle shows for $5 each and usually sell a handful. The 1870's-1910 date is the context I have dug them in...found identical bottles in privies and trash pits from throughout that time range, so tough to pinpoint an exact time.

Honu

Reaction score
I did a bit of research and have uncovered more info about my shard. Thought I’d post just in case someone in the future wants to know more about these German salt-glazed mineral water bottles.

My shard is from Selters, Germany (partially spelled on my shard: “E-L-T-E”). Selters is a location and brand of natural mineral water with a very long history. My shard with standing lion seal design is dated to 1830-1866! I was pleasantly surprised!

Source of information:

- German mineral water seal design catalog (many designs are dated): http://www.mineralwasserkruege.homepage.t-online.de

[Click on “Brunnenmarken A-Z”, then scroll down and select “Niederselters - Originale”. My shard with the standing lion design is “Niederselters7”. ]

- Selters on wikipedia: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selters

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp