Beginner finding more bottles than info: are these catsup bottles?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mikez

Reaction score
Not a young guy but just getting into bottles.
Have been surfing the Internet for info but frustrated. There's so much information it's overwhelming, but when you have a specific question you can't find it.
I'm particularly interested in soda, acl, pepsi, local. I'm picking up othet stuff but that's what I like.
So the broken NH pepsi with the intact acl got me excited. Found it right off.
Two days later, my back is shot, I have huge hole to fill in, and all I have for my efforts is 100 plain food jars, the bottles above and the one lonely broke pepsi.

So are these all catsup? I thought they were soda but have weird tops.
Yes I know they're not valuable and no I didn't keep any. Just looking to educate myself. 20171102_125059.jpg20171101_143504.jpg20171101_143548.jpg

Mikez

Reaction score
And how come every intact acl bottle i find sheds it's paint the minute I touch it, but the brokes always have perfect labels??

RelicRaker

Reaction score
Have only been doing this a year or so myself but those do look like all catsups—the size, paneled sides, and lack of embossing are all consistent w/ catsup (or relish) bottles.

Last edited:

RelicRaker

Reaction score
As for the paint, not sure... Murphy's Law perhaps? I've found some ACLs that hold their paint and others that seem to lose it if I look at them too hard. Depends on the chemical comp of the soil I believe. Maybe one of the members with more experience knows for sure.

RCO

Reaction score
the bottles in top picture all look like ketchup bottles to me .

often broken bottles were tossed into dumps cause they had nothing else to do with them , this was before recycling and such . so if your digging old dumps its likely your going to find a lot of broken bottles especially pop . as to why some have nicer labels than others ? no real reason as to why , some acl bottles just seem to last long and nicer than others

hemihampton

Reaction score
When you find old ACL Bottles it's best to let them dry out for at least a month before trying to clean at all, especially if the ground &/or dirt on the bottle is wet or moist. This will definately help preserve the label from washing or wiping off. Try it, works for me. LEON.

Mikez

Reaction score
Thanks Leon. I was gonna make a separate post about preserving acl labels in the field.
I was wondering if there was a way to stabilize the paint. It looks so good when you find it, it's frustrating seeing it wash off so easy.

nhpharm

Reaction score
You digging in New Hampshire? That used to be my stomping grounds. Did lots of digging there.

Mikez

Reaction score
I'm actually in North-central Ma, just below the NH border.

I intend to hunt the Merrimack river and tribs as I search for new spots.
I like stream hunting. I'm a fisherman so I'm good at spotting stuff in the water.
I also like that the streams are constantly eroding out new bottles. Just like with points, bottles in my area been heavily picked over for a long time.

nhpharm

Reaction score
That should be a very good area...and you are right about rivers. Good luck!

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi