N.E Suddaby Druggist bottle Fernie BC

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
found this at an antique store and though it was neat , I don't really know much about it but he didn't want much for it so figured I'd take it home .

I'm not sure how long this druggist operated but saw a post online that seemed to indicate he was operating in 1910's era , I've never been to Fernie BC but online says its around 5000 people now and unsure how big it was when bottle used

the label says " N.E Suddaby" druggist and stationer Fernie BC and has a picture of an elk , first I though it was a deer but now say its an elk , someone wrote on the label but didn't write down a date so unsure exactly how old the label and bottle is

the bottle itself is just a small plain clear bottle ( maybe 3 inches tall and 1 inch wide ) , no real markings other than a couple numbers on bottom

PB090001.jpgPB090003.jpgPB090004.jpgPB090005.jpgPB090006.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Oh man, I'm so jealous haha! I collect BC bottles and I've only found one BC druggist since I left, and it wasn't a labelled one from a small town like yours. Labelled BC drug store bottles are not easy at all to find.

As for Fernie, I've never been there either but it was a boom town, as was almost everywhere in that area. I think it has probably been more or less the same size it is today since the early 20th century.

RCO

Reaction score
Oh man, I'm so jealous haha! I collect BC bottles and I've only found one BC druggist since I left, and it wasn't a labelled one from a small town like yours. Labelled BC drug store bottles are not easy at all to find.

As for Fernie, I've never been there either but it was a boom town, as was almost everywhere in that area. I think it has probably been more or less the same size it is today since the early 20th century.

I haven't really been looking for BC bottles specifically so not sure how many are out there

any guesses as to when this bottle might of been used ? I don't have any BC bottle books to look him up in or sure if any even exist

it always surprises me how some of these old paper label bottles managed to survive so long in such condition , someone either saved it for some reason or it was kept indoors in a medical cabinet for a long time

botlguy

Reaction score
I live fairly close to Fernie, about 2 hours south in the USA. Fernie is in an absolutely beautiful location at the foot of the Canadian Rockies. It does seem to have a thriving economy, in winter it is a busy ski area. We were there last about 2 years ago. That's a great looking label and it appears to me they match as far as age goes, 1900 - 1915. One could write to the local library for help finding some history.
Jim S

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
There are several BC bottle books, but they were written before pharmacy bottles really became collectible. So there isn't any sort of reference for pharmacy bottles. I don't often see Canadian pharmacy bottles from anywhere outside of Ontario and Quebec, especially not labeled ones.

Yeah I'm always amazed that they survived too, I'm not sure where they usually were kept to have them last so long. Some I know are found in walls and crawlspaces, but I don't think the majority were.

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
The bottle might be just a bit older than 1910. From what I've seen, most druggist bottles were putting graduations in around 1910 or so. Some earlier, some not putting them in at all, but in general. Nice graphic and great condition.
Of course, this is a study from American-made and sold bottles. Though you're our neighbour, it may not apply as this stemmed from a certain law though I don't think it was mandatory for town druggists.
A nice antique bottle, nonetheless.

RCO

Reaction score
There are several BC bottle books, but they were written before pharmacy bottles really became collectible. So there isn't any sort of reference for pharmacy bottles. I don't often see Canadian pharmacy bottles from anywhere outside of Ontario and Quebec, especially not labeled ones.

Yeah I'm always amazed that they survived too, I'm not sure where they usually were kept to have them last so long. Some I know are found in walls and crawlspaces, but I don't think the majority were.

I've never seen any of the BC books myself or aware they existed , I've seen druggist bottles from different provinces before , mostly there embossed though , saw a couple from the east coast on ebay the other day , one was from Cape Breton and other NB

the label has 2 tiny dots of white paint , so perhaps it had been kept near a wall or something that needed painting ? seems odd to explain how they got on bottle . it seems odd that someone bothered to keep it , as it would of been used quickly and then had no use and not considered collectable way back then

RCO

Reaction score
The bottle might be just a bit older than 1910. From what I've seen, most druggist bottles were putting graduations in around 1910 or so. Some earlier, some not putting them in at all, but in general. Nice graphic and great condition.
Of course, this is a study from American-made and sold bottles. Though you're our neighbour, it may not apply as this stemmed from a certain law though I don't think it was mandatory for town druggists.
A nice antique bottle, nonetheless.

really have no idea , the 1910 date was just a guess , I found some postcards online from same store and some were dated 1905 or 1907 , apparently that made postcards too not just a druggist

a post on Wikipedia also says Fernie BC was entirely burnt down on 1908 , so if it could be proven the druggist and this bottle was pre 1908 , it might make it even rarer as few bottles could of possibly survived if the entire town and druggist burnt down .

[h=2]Architectural heritage[edit][/h]After a disastrous fire leveled much of the downtown core in 1904, the fledgling municipal government passed an ordinance requiring all buildings in the area to be built of 'fireproof' materials like brick and stone. Consequently, a new city centre rose from the ashes sporting brick buildings along broad avenues that would have looked more at home in a sedate and refined Victorian city than a rough-and-tumble frontier coal town. They were short-lived, however, as a second, larger inferno swept through the city on August 1, 1908. Whipped up by sudden winds, a nearby forest fire burnt its way into a lumber yard on the edge of the community and sparked a Dresden-style firestorm that melted brick and mortar and essentially erased the entire city in an afternoon. There were few casualties, however, and for a second time a stately brick downtown core rose from the ashes. Today, these historic buildings, most of which still stand, are a treasured and distinctive feature of the community.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernie,_British_Columbia

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I've never seen any of the BC books myself or aware they existed , I've seen druggist bottles from different provinces before , mostly there embossed though , saw a couple from the east coast on ebay the other day , one was from Cape Breton and other NB

the label has 2 tiny dots of white paint , so perhaps it had been kept near a wall or something that needed painting ? seems odd to explain how they got on bottle . it seems odd that someone bothered to keep it , as it would of been used quickly and then had no use and not considered collectable way back then

Yeah the BC books are quite pricey and hard to find, and they are not super comprehensive either. There's one soda book that was still in print ten years ago or so, not sure if it is now, which has most of the pre-1920 sodas from the province, but the other books are more just a group of collectors in the 70s trying to document as many bottles as they were aware of, and since it was the 70s there was a lot they were not aware of yet.

I see NS and NB druggist bottles sometimes, I just posted one from Halifax on another thread, but I can only remember finding one from the Western provinces the whole time I've lived in ON and QC.

If it's got a bit of paint on the label then I think it's got a decent chance of having been inside a wall or under a floor. Sometimes the construction workers would finish a bottle of something and then just toss it inside the wall. Not sure why they would have been using eye drops on the job though, so maybe not.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora