Menorah on soda bottle from Toronto ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
saw this bottle on an old ebay listing , it sold in September but I was left intrigued by it .

checked my various books and couldn't find any listings for a "King Soda Water Mfg Co " in Toronto Ontario

although by the looks of the bottle it was used somewhere between 1905-1915 era , at least that be my guess

the Menorah on the bottle would also lead to some questions as to if bottler was jewish , although they didn't use a jewish name on bottle but it be hard to explain why they put the menorah on it if they weren't jewish . there was a large jewish population in Toronto at that time so it make sense and some were involved in the bottling industry

just wondering if anyone else has seen the bottle before or knows anything else about it ?

kingsodawater-toronto.jpgkingsodawater-toronto1.jpg

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-Star-of-Da...655591?hash=item2f0bb1a9a7:g:S4kAAOSwk~NZwFep

RelicRaker

Reaction score
I've seen a few kosher wines but not a kosher soda water. Interesting.

RCO

Reaction score
I've seen a few kosher wines but not a kosher soda water. Interesting.

I haven't seen a menorah on a soda bottle before either , although there is a number from Toronto with the star of david on them

saw these 2 today although there is a few others , it seemed to be used a fair bit ,

parissodawater-toronto.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That's an interesting one, I've never seen it before either. I imagine that the bottler probably was indeed Jewish and it was either kosher soda or sparkling water marketed to the Jewish population.

RCO

Reaction score
this bottle was also included in the ebay listing , it had the star of david on it and also from toronto . also unlisted in any books but likely 1905-10's era . for a J Brandman , assuming he must of been jewish

jbrandman-toronto.jpgjbrandman-toronto1.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
There's a Star of David bottle from Ottawa as well, I think I found a broken one once. I can't remember the name off the top of my head though.

RCO

Reaction score
There's a Star of David bottle from Ottawa as well, I think I found a broken one once. I can't remember the name off the top of my head though.

your right there is one from Ottawa , had to look thru my pictures to find it , it was on ebay a year or so ago , though about buying it but didn't , this one is for "crown aerated water co " early 1910's era according to book , but don't know if there was any others from Ottawa that used the star ?

Ottawa-crownaeratedwater.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
most seem to be from Toronto but is also a couple from Niagara region , this one is from Welland Ontario . but not sure if they were jewish or not as they put there phone number in the star and O S W C W M for there name " Ontario soda water mfc co "

PB210002.jpg

Tree Feller

Reaction score
According to the book I have, this company is not listed in the registries but bottles have been found bearing this name (Dean Axelson's book) and likely made between 1908- shortly after 1910. There were two similar bottles: the hand made crown top and the machine made crown top. The machine made is a lighter pale aqua in colour and has a large letter K on the bottom.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora