C. 1875 Colourful Labeled Ale

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
101_3016.jpg
C. 1875 Wickes' Celebrated Red Seal Sparkling Ale.
I really had a devil of a time trying to put a date on this bottle.
At first I couldn't find info on the company, so I went by the label manufacturer.
But, two modern online sources and two 1800s directories each had conflicting information.
101_3018.jpg
The first modern source detailing the company had fine grammar, but the author's placement of one particular word ('subsequently') was poorly executed so that it could have meant two totally different things (putting the Crump Label Co. on either side of 1878. So that wasn't of much use.
Thus, I did more detailed research using documents scanned to be online and found that, in general, all that could be said of their conflicting information is that the Crump Label Press (manufacturer name on label) was around in 1874 and 1888 where it changed names before being bought out in 1890 and again in 1891, but it may have properly went to Crump Label Co. in 1879 till 1881 or 1882 (sources differ).
The factory in New York burned down on 4 July 1877 by 'spontaneous combustion', according to one period source.
101_3022.jpg
After a head-ache in trying to figure out the Crump Label Press, settling with the Library of Congress being correct (1874), I decided to investigate the address under various searches in Google Books and found a garbled transcription of an 1875 New York directory where Wickes' & Co. was present as a bottler at 426 Atlantic Avenue, Brooklyn (as shown on label).
101_3021.jpg
I've always been confused on this type of base, though. What is that dot? As in, what caused it?
Also, why is my olive-amber bottle milky-blue in the base? Bottle is uneven at the base and sits at an angle.
101_3019.jpg
Applied double collar.
As one final note of interest, this bottle is mentioned in the 1981 book, Behind the Seawall: Historical Archaeology along the San Francisco Waterfront.
I saw it on eBay before, liked it, but hated the price. After no one bought it, the seller put it in a bidding auction, and you know the rest. MUCH better price! ʕ•͡ᴥ•ʔ

historic-antiques

Reaction score
From what I know, the dot is a type of pontil mark, can't remember the exact name, but it does indicate the bottle is from around the year you indicated, maybe older.

RelicRaker

Reaction score
Beauty of a bottle. And thanks for researching the backstory.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Hi Bear!! long time no see, I have been on a hiatus from bottle collecting. as yu know I haven't been on here for a long time. its good to be back. Your bottle is from 1870 thru 1880 generally, could be a bit earlier or later, but not much. the dimple or button on the bottom is NOT a pontil, it was an orientation device to make the gather fit in the mold better, not move around as it was being blown, or so the explanation goes. The milky blue color is diffusion thru the glass and is not really a color IN the glass. Nice bottle, and I am happy you got it for a decent price!!

nhpharm

Reaction score
The bluish color is called glass gall. Often seen on older British blackglass bottles. Wonderful bottle. The bottle itself is British.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
Thanks much for the welcome back botlguy, it was a struggle but worth it, I am now 75, and have decided to live out the rest of my life by helping others and not being an ass. I lost four life long buddies in 4 months. it was hard being the last man standing, but everything happens for a reason, so I have decided to find out gods reasoning in this..Andy

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
historic-antiques, the bottle was likely reused or 'stolen'. Some sort of import, maybe a wine, where the product was emptied and this bottler got its paws on the bottle for their product.

Relic Raker, thank you. I always try to find some sort of information on defunct bottlers I come across. There are just so many that would otherwise be totally unheard of today. How many more have been forever lost to history?

Andy, thank you for the informative explanation, and welcome back. You may recall I also left for a little while. I'm sure many people will be pleased to see you have returned. I'm sorry to read that you've lost so many people so quickly. I know how that feels.... Though I'm young, I've found that any negative experience can be used as a positive learning experience, if we just don't despair. We're glad you've returned to us. How do you mean that you intend to help others? I'm curious about what that entails.

NHPharm, thank you. But isn't gall a bitter wine or bodily fluid? Odd term given it.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger