Suncook NH pharmacist bottle with a BEAVER

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Skoda

Reaction score
Hey guys, been a loooooong time since I posted on here. I've since moved from NH to MD and have found Montgomery Co. to be simply AWFUL for bottle collecting- I haven't added a single bottle to my collection from local purchases since moving in March, aside from a backpack full I purchased during a weekend trip back to my home state! I managed to move my entire 400+ piece bottle collection without breaking a single one during the move, so that's a plus.

Anyhow, I picked up this rather large NH pharmacist bottle at an auction a few months before I moved and I still can't find any information on it. It is embossed "DR. A. A. E. BRIEN & CO." and has a rather fat beaver embossed under "PHARMACIST" and above "SUNCOOK N.H.". It's pretty huge for a pharmacist bottle 8 1/2" tall and 3 1/4" wide. Clear glass, tooled lip, round back with a flat front panel. I imagine it's quite rare, anybody ever see one of these before?

jccbDxQ.jpg

-Blackglass

andy volkerts

Reaction score
I have seen one, but much smaller, and without that fat beaver!! I suspect yours may be milk of magnesia, it usually came in pretty big bottles. nice bottle, a keeper for sure, and pretty rare, as the one I saw in New Hampshire about ten yrs ago, and yours are the only ones I have noticed in 50 yrs of collecting. Andy

nhpharm

Reaction score
I've got the smaller one and I've seen one of these before in a collection but they are certainly rare and on my wish list as well if you are ever interested in parting with it. Great find! Amazingly for such a small town, Suncook had 3 different companies that had embossed pharmacy bottles, with the Gordon's being the most common by a long shot. The Hildreth's and Brien's are both rare.

nhpharm

Reaction score
It sure does. All of the examples I have seen (large and small) have a beaver.

Flash 70

Reaction score
Nhpharm

It sure does. All of the examples I have seen (large and small) have a beaver.
Many years ago We found an antique glass Item.(Gilmanton, NH.) Have always been puzzled by it . It was about 3.5 in. wide by about 3in. high and 2 in. deep cavity with the large logo "Hendrix ; Moulded with a tab at back about an inch and a half higher with a 3/8 in hole in it . Wonder if anyone has an Idea of it's purpose or has seen one. It had taken on a slight purple hue, probably due to it's exposure to the sun at an old forgotten farm site. Thanks Flash 70

andy volkerts

Reaction score
That's pretty exciting if they all have beavers, the one I saw must have been a sample for one of their products, as it was too small for a beaver to fit on the bottle. in fact it would be right up botlguys alley, for smalls QUOTE=nhpharm;705496]It sure does. All of the examples I have seen (large and small) have a beaver.[/QUOTE]

nhpharm

Reaction score
They were just your run of the mill pharmacist as far as I can tell...just with some remarkable bottles. There are a few other pharmacy bottles from across the country with beavers on them...I think it was meant to be a symbol of industriousness. The one I have is the 1 ounce size; you likely saw the 1/2 ounce size, which definitely would have been too small to fit a beaver on. I've not seen one that size but it goes to show that with patience, you could probably put together a complete run of these (1/2, 1,2,3,4,6,8 ounce, perhaps).

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
beth 264