Porcelain Signs (Indian Reproductions)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

nhpharm

Reaction score
Some of the repro porcelain signs coming out of India are getting pretty convincing. Beware...I suspect many of these will end up here in the US being sold to unsuspecting collectors. Everything this seller is selling is fake (though the seller certainly doesn't indicate this as he is listing them as "pre-owned" with no mention of them being reproductions):

https://www.ebay.com/sch/kamin_jh/m...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

The following signs have sold and would have interest to bottle collectors. Be careful out there~

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PORCELAIN-...897055?hash=item2393b3ea5f:g:GHIAAOSwP4FaGSkk

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PORCELAIN-...898535?hash=item2393b3f027:g:6fUAAOSwHNxaGSk6

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Wow yikes those are convincing. I don't know if they maybe don't look right in person, but from those photos it would never occur to me that they could be fake.

RCO

Reaction score
all the picking shows have been saying these signs are really hot ( and expensive ) and becoming harder to find , so its not surprising someone is trying to produce reproductions , which aren't illegal but should really be labeled as being so .

I don't own any signs myself but would have a hard time telling a real one and a fake one apart based on those pictures

njdigger

Reaction score
The oil and gas signs were first to be reproduced, then the other brands. I have noticed some signs have holes in them along the edges where there's no reason to be there. Other signs-not so. Since they are using the old methodologies of production, you've got the weight and feel of the original. These are dead-on repros that fool veterans. In the future it may come down to specific dimensions at various locations on the sign. I suspect this will hurt the collectors market as decent signs are pricey and no one wants to get stuck for hundreds of dollars. Ebay is probably the worst place to find these signs-I'd guess 95% is outright repros.

logueb

Reaction score
I attend a lot of so called antique auctions. Recently saw an Indian Motorcycle sign repro sign sell for 200 dollars. The same sign was on E bay for like 12.95. There are also hand fans advertising soft drinks and calendar repos passed off as originals. Buster

brent little

Reaction score
i collect signs. To the adverage person they look pretty real. Till you break it down. Usually they are always the wrong size. many out door style oil signs where pretty huge. Fakes are usually something like 16x24 inches.Next the lettering will be not uniform or poorly done. Sign makers made them perfect or they didnt get to market.Next grommeting is in the wrong places,colour is wrong or close.,and lastly the sign just never existed to begin with. Experienced collectors can spot fakes a mile away.Its the nubies that get burned. Too good a deal IS too good a deal.EBay is one of the worst sites for not policing the miss-leading and out and out fakery.Hope this helps all reading this Merry Christmas

Today14

Reaction score
i collect signs. To the adverage person they look pretty real. Till you break it down. Usually they are always the wrong size. many out door style oil signs where pretty huge. Fakes are usually something like 16x24 inches.Next the lettering will be not uniform or poorly done. Sign makers made them perfect or they didnt get to market.Next grommeting is in the wrong places,colour is wrong or close.,and lastly the sign just never existed to begin with. Experienced collectors can spot fakes a mile away.Its the nubies that get burned. Too good a deal IS too good a deal.EBay is one of the worst sites for not policing the miss-leading and out and out fakery.Hope this helps all reading this Merry Christmas

Attachments

• IMG_20201018_160131.jpg
    IMG_20201018_160131.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 249

Today14

Reaction score
I have this Standard Oil sign I might be willing to get rid of.
I'm pretty sure it's real . It has a lot of character.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger