SCA Food Bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

TurpentineFLA

Reaction score
I'm posting in After 1900, but I'm unsure. The seam goes up to the lip, but not through. It appears to possibly have a second very fine seam in the lip offset from the seam up the body of the bottle. There appear to be lathe marks running horizontally along the face of the top, There are bubbles throughout and strange horizontal 'scars'(for lack of a better word) on the inside of the bottle that I can feel with my finger on the inside but not out. Small pontil scar about the size of a nickel on the bottom. No embossing.

I'd like to know more about it, age, possible contents and what kind of closure this is. There are two step-down lips inside the main lip and a squared groove going around the outside of the lip.

Found alongside a 1890's-190x WF&S bottle.

Thanks.

IMG_20171128_122406656.jpg

Last edited:

botlguy

Reaction score
I can assure you, at least in my opinion, you have a 1915 - 30 era food container that held a semi-liquid product such as relish, chutney, small pickles / gherkins, etc. It is misinformation that ALL bottles made during and after WWI would not turn SCA (Sun Colored Amethyst). As for closure, I cannot be specific but I believe it was a new, for the time, press on / pry off type with composition seal on the lid.
Jim S

TurpentineFLA

Reaction score
Darn, I was hoping it would be a little older. Thanks for all the information, though.

I'll post the WF&S bottle later, maybe someone could tell me a bit more about that as well.

sandchip

Reaction score
Yours is an early machine made pickle. The amethyst tint would tell me that it dates between 1903 and 1917. The use of manganese as a decolorizing agent ended after we entered WWI, later replaced by selenium. The mark on the bottom is not a pontil, but a valve mark. I have a labeled, tooled top example in that mold. I'll have to check and see if there's any embossing on the bottom.

Last edited:

TurpentineFLA

Reaction score
thanks for the information. That's a lot more along the lines of what I was thinking in terms of date.

sandchip

Reaction score
I checked mine and the base is embossed "PATENTED AUG 20 1901".

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu