English Bottle Question:

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Well, at first I thought it was a reproduction label, but after more careful study I'm not so sure. Perhaps it's a by-far newer label than the bottle (which seems to date to before 1913, as Stiff Lambeth seems to be James Stiff & Sons, now defunct), but perhaps one of our English friends here can tell me if:

The label is original to this bottle
and
When was this product around?
IMG_20180104_163958.jpg

I was about to email the store whose bottle this was, Harrod Stores, Limited, (extant), to see if they'll check their historic archives, but why annoy them? The incised name, Harrod's LTD London S.W., is stamped or etched on various products sold from at least 1907 to at least 1918, as surviving examples of merchandise show, so the bottle checks out fine. Again: It's the label that I have interest in.
IMG_20180104_164015.jpg
The way the label was produced is different from what I normally encounter in America. It looks like a finely graven plate of horizontal lines was over-stamped with coloured letters and images before being pressed onto the paper, but I'm not quite sure what to make of this idea-- hence, my confusion with the label. It does look right under a loupe, but not from regular eye-inspection.
IMG_20180104_164114.jpg
We see the incised company name and lighter interior of the stoneware bottle.
IMG_20180104_164053.jpg
The pottery maker's mark.

Last edited:

TROG

Reaction score
Hi, This Ginger Beer bottle is authentic and dates around 1890 - 1900. The label does not match the bottle and could be a repo or just an old label that has been stuck on the bottle

Old Wiltshire

Reaction score
-

As Trog says, old bottle, probably an old label but unfortunately a recent marriage!!

-0-​

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
Thank you both for responding so quickly. Did anything except ginger beer ever come in pottery bottles? Were they not also 'stolen; or sold for use by/to other companies?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18