My Heartbreak Collection of Shards n Broken Bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bottlehog

Reaction score
Shard tragedy

Shard Tragedy.... For years I kept mid-to-late 19th century patterned china shards found while digging. I always intended to use the material to create "shard collage" art. I had two 5-gallon buckets full. I shared my vision with an artist friend who was also a professor at our local university. She happens to be regionally-acclaimed in paint media, but that's beside the point; I assumed she would perceive the value in these buckets of rather unique media, visualize, and apply some artistic perspective to create some intriguing art.

Ummm... Imagine my horror when I learned a few weeks later that she had CRUSHED the pieces into smaller ones and turned a dozen 8-year old kids loose with it, bottles of glue, and paper as a birthday party activity for her child!

Last edited:

sandchip

Reaction score
Wow, what a bummer that must have been. Says a lot about the common sense and wisdom of some college professors, huh?

nikkicz17

Reaction score
Those are amazing even if they are broken. Im so sorry!!! I was looking at your amazing pictures before I read your whole post.

GritsGal

Reaction score
Lived and raised all my life in Kissimmee Florida
Hello. I’m new here so please forgive me for asking a stupid question about these broken shards, etc.
Why keep broken glass? Is it still worth anything or is it just taking up space? No intended offense meant, just never thought about doing that.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Hello. I’m new here so please forgive me for asking a stupid question about these broken shards, etc.
Why keep broken glass? Is it still worth anything or is it just taking up space? No intended offense meant, just never thought about doing that.
Usually shards aren't worth anything. People keep them usually for two reasons, either the shard has historical significance (no intact examples known, for example) or it's part of a bottle which would be so special whole that a piece of one alone has interest.

otto

Reaction score
Beautiful and impressive assortment of shards. Great mind tease making these bottles whole.

coldwater diver

Reaction score

Its a sickness LOL You will have to try a lot harder to offend me, just no wise cracks about my one eyed three eared two legged dog

Bottledigger52

Reaction score
They are definitely some heartbreakers there I have quite a few as well they are good memories and hopefully I find a whole one of my shards some day. You have found some amazing stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora