Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Shard tragedy

Shard Tragedy.... For years I kept mid-to-late 19th century patterned china shards found while digging. I always intended to use the material to create "shard collage" art. I had two 5-gallon buckets full. I shared my vision with an artist friend who was also a professor at our local university. She happens to be regionally-acclaimed in paint media, but that's beside the point; I assumed she would perceive the value in these buckets of rather unique media, visualize, and apply some artistic perspective to create some intriguing art.

Ummm... Imagine my horror when I learned a few weeks later that she had CRUSHED the pieces into smaller ones and turned a dozen 8-year old kids loose with it, bottles of glue, and paper as a birthday party activity for her child!
    Last edited by Bottlehog; 03-26-2018 at 10:01 PM.

Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar
    Wow, what a bummer that must have been. Says a lot about the common sense and wisdom of some college professors, huh?

Those are amazing even if they are broken. Im so sorry!!! I was looking at your amazing pictures before I read your whole post.

Lived and raised all my life in Kissimmee Florida
    Hello. Iím new here so please forgive me for asking a stupid question about these broken shards, etc.
    Why keep broken glass? Is it still worth anything or is it just taking up space? No intended offense meant, just never thought about doing that.

Senior Member Bottle Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GritsGal View Post
    Hello. I’m new here so please forgive me for asking a stupid question about these broken shards, etc.
    Why keep broken glass? Is it still worth anything or is it just taking up space? No intended offense meant, just never thought about doing that.
    Usually shards aren't worth anything. People keep them usually for two reasons, either the shard has historical significance (no intact examples known, for example) or it's part of a bottle which would be so special whole that a piece of one alone has interest.

Member New Bottler
    Beautiful and impressive assortment of shards. Great mind tease making these bottles whole.

Senior Member Bottle Master coldwater diver's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GritsGal View Post
    Hello. Iím new here so please forgive me for asking a stupid question about these broken shards, etc.

Its a sickness LOL You will have to try a lot harder to offend me, just no wise cracks about my one eyed three eared two legged dog

Senior Member Bottle Master sandchip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by coldwater diver View Post
    its a sickness lol you will have to try a lot harder to offend me, just no wise cracks about my one eyed three eared two legged dog
    lol!

Member New Bottler Bottledigger52's Avatar
    They are definitely some heartbreakers there I have quite a few as well they are good memories and hopefully I find a whole one of my shards some day. You have found some amazing stuff.

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us."
    J.R.R. Tolkien