Forgotten Digging Finds and a Gun!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
20180108_172408.jpg
From Left to Right- Back: Otis Clapp and Son Camphor Diskoids Boston, The Abner Royce Co. Pure Fruit Flavours Cleveland O.(Common and chipped but a anything but those Foss bottles is great!), and a Large amber bottle (Rexall hair tonic?). Middle: Sliver Plated Shoe Buckle? Early?, perfume sample, and a medicine sample.Front The Gun! Pretty heavy and has hollow barrel. Is it real or a toy?

Close up of the Otis Clapp and Son
20180108_172220.jpg
Close up of the Cloudy Abner Royce
20180108_172230.jpg
Piece of a Price's Pure Preperations bottle from Westerly R.I. (probably extract). Would've been nice whole.:(
20180108_172304.jpg

Can't wait to get out digging again after the snow is gone and it is warmer!

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Hard to tell that crusted up but on first glance I'd say it was an early S&W revolver, minus the cylinder.

Jim G

RCO

Reaction score
I'm no expert but I assumed it be a toy gun at first but the more I look at it . the more I'm leaning towards it being a real hand gun . although with that much rust it be impossible to find any markings to verify one way or another .

but it seem odd that someone would throw away a real gun ? as gunsmiths would often repair them back then and they were very expensive , that fact would still lead me to doubt it was real and possibly some sort of toy that just looked really realistic

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
20180109_175002.jpg
Grand Army of the Republic part of pin ribbon found in same dump last year. It could be a Model 2 smith & Wesson civil war era revolver from a little reasearch I did. The dump does go back to about the 1840s. There is a chance it could be a toy though do toy guns have revolving cylinders?

RCO

Reaction score
it just seems really odd that someone would throw out a real gun ,even if it was broken ( unless it was used in a crime which seem unlikely as its in a dump not a river ) . they were often used for parts and could be fixed by gunsmiths who were In ever town at the time .

some cap guns looked really authentic , they were popular in the 50's , when westerns were the big thing . I would imagine some had working parts and revolving cylinders

saratogadriver

Reaction score
View attachment 181062
Grand Army of the Republic part of pin ribbon found in same dump last year. It could be a Model 2 smith & Wesson civil war era revolver from a little reasearch I did. The dump does go back to about the 1840s. There is a chance it could be a toy though do toy guns have revolving cylinders?

I was leaning towards about that vintage SW but it's pretty hard to tell. Real guns got thrown out. I've got the barrel and action of an old marlin sitting in my garage that was part of the fill on my property. That revolver is missing the cylinder and may have just been worn beyond repair. Especially if it was an old enough model to not have any real value to a user. It would have been pretty much antiquated in a TOC dump, for instance.

Jim G

DanielinAk

Reaction score
Sweet finds bud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Are you thinking of trying electrolysis on the gun? That would likely help to figure out if it's real or not. I believe that some higher end toy guns did have revolving cylinders. If it is a toy it's likely a lot older than the toy guns I'm used to seeing from the mid-20th century. I know I've seen people post real guns they've found in dumps before, but I don't think I've ever seen a real one missing the cylinder.

By the way that Civil War veterans' pin is really cool!

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi