Rideau Bottling co - Smith Falls Ontario

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
one of my more interesting finds , had found this bottle late in 2017 at an antique store but hadn't got around to posting it . the bottle design itself is generic in nature and was widely used in Canada but its still very interesting , also had never seen this bottle before , only one I've ever come across

its for " Rideau Bottling co" Smith Falls Ontario , according to my book this bottler operated from 1930-1935 . the town of smith falls at that time , was a bit busier , more manufacturing and a railway stop. so there seems to have been a number of bottlers that operated there over the years.

the Rideau Canal and river , also runs thru the town . so the name of Rideau bottling co makes sense for the area.

on the very bottom of bottle , is an " RBC " marking and a consumers glass triangle

PB060002.jpgPB060003.jpgPB060004.jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
I still only have one bottle in that style for all of western Canada.

RCO

Reaction score
I still only have one bottle in that style for all of western Canada.

true a more common design in Ontario than other provinces in Canada , although I'm sure there is some out there from western and eastern Canada that I just haven't seen yet

( in 2017 from Ontario I identified 4 bottlers using the bottle I had never seen before , this one , the D Cola bottle I posted , savoy beverages Oshawa and one from Welland Ontario )

RCO

Reaction score
don't think I ever posted the one from Welland Ontario , saw it on ebay , but seller had really poor pictures of it , was for Ontario Soda Water , Welland , Tel213 on bottle . this is the only picture I have but it definitely exists

ontariosodawater-welland.jpg

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Nice find! I think I was aware of that one existing but never saw one in person. I don't have any bottles from Smith's Falls, only milk caps.

And Canadacan as far as I know there are only two bottles in this style that were used in BC and neither is easy to find. I have no idea about the Prairies but have never seen one from there.

Canadacan

Reaction score
Yes CB that's right, just two for BC...never seen any more, one was that Nanaimo Bottling Works and the other was the Old English Beverages I picked up last year. Both are quite scarce.

Nanaimo bottling- scarce bottle.jpg
20180111_233057.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
Nice find! I think I was aware of that one existing but never saw one in person. I don't have any bottles from Smith's Falls, only milk caps.

And Canadacan as far as I know there are only two bottles in this style that were used in BC and neither is easy to find. I have no idea about the Prairies but have never seen one from there.

was aware of the listings in book for smiths falls but not sure what types of bottles they used , also recall seeing a "barker brothers " bottle from smith falls , its very plain , clear bottle ,

also a few older pre 1920's bottles from smiths falls , several different bottles , F Conlin and R Irvine seem to be more common

not sure if this bottle is related to Rideau Beverage ltd from smiths falls , they lasted into the 60's and have an acl bottle but might also have an embossed bottle and I just haven't seen it as they appeared to have started in 1933

rideaubeverages.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
Yes CB that's right, just two for BC...never seen any more, one was that Nanaimo Bottling Works and the other was the Old English Beverages I picked up last year. Both are quite scarce.

the only 2 , I know of from BC are the 2 bottles you mentioned from Vancouver Island , haven't seen any others from Western Canada and there may not be any others , but is so many short lived bottles in smaller towns/cities we don't know a lot about its hard to say no others might exist

most seem to be from Ontario , I don't know of any from Quebec and unsure if any exist . is definitely at least 1 from the east coast . saw a picture of one from Northern New Brunswick a while back , from a small bottler and its for sure the same design

mctaggart67

Reaction score
J.W. Anderson, Sarnia, Ontario also used the panel style bottle.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora