Rideau Bottling co - Smith Falls Ontario

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Ohh actually I think I might have that ACL Rideau bottle. So if that's the case I was wrong about not having anything from Smith's Falls. I think I picked that one up last year in Almonte. And wait, there's an R. Irvine bottle from Smith's Falls? I've got bottles of theirs from Ottawa and Toronto but never seen anything marked Smith's Falls.

RCO

Reaction score
J.W. Anderson, Sarnia, Ontario also used the panel style bottle.

don't have one but have seen it before , but have a picture of it , don't have any Sarnia bottles , likely too far away for any to have traveled up here jwanderson-sarnia1.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
Ohh actually I think I might have that ACL Rideau bottle. So if that's the case I was wrong about not having anything from Smith's Falls. I think I picked that one up last year in Almonte. And wait, there's an R. Irvine bottle from Smith's Falls? I've got bottles of theirs from Ottawa and Toronto but never seen anything marked Smith's Falls.

R Irvine was in smiths falls from 1896-1909 according to book , haven't seen the bottle that many times , maybe a couple over the years so it might not be that common , there was one on ebay last year , have a picture of that one

rirvine-smithfalls1.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
also looked thru the Ontario soda water book I have , it came out in the 70's and lists a lot of Ontario bottles and gives a brief description of them ,

looked all thru to try and see if any might be panel style bottles I didn't know about yet , but they didn't seem to list that many of them

although 2 did stand out as a possibility , is a listing for a Cobourg Bottling Works , type crown , colour -clear , height 7 inches 3/4 , front - contents 7oz , Cobourg (vertical ) Bottling works ( vertical ) Cobourg Ont ( vertical )

now I've never seen this bottle so not sure but its height is the same as the others , also the fact the lettering is vertical would seem right ( by the 30's wasn't many other bottles using the vertical lettering style ) but 7oz is a bit bigger than the others .

also from right time period as other book lists this bottler as 1928-1938

other Crescent Bottling Works from Niagara Falls I think although could be fort William

listing type crown , colour - clear , height 7 inches 3/4 , neck - contents 6 1/2 fl oz , front - crescent bottling works ( all vertical )

its description matches the other panel bottles exactly and other books lists them as 1926-1940 in Niagara falls

RCO

Reaction score
funny so did I and now its in my window , it came up in google results when I tried to search for the Cobourg bottle , both used bottling works in name , happened to pass thru the Oshawa area this weekend anyways so I was able to pick it up on Saturday

not sure if its worth $20 or not but I paid seller what he wanted to avoid any hassles , as I often have horrible luck with people off kiijji , ( feel like I recall seeing one at the Toronto bottle show but it could of been the Renfrew bottle as it has a similar name )

according to book the Oshawa bottling works lasted until 1938 and then it seems to have changed names to Savoy beverages and continued to use the same bottle until the late 40's , so this bottle was likely used in the 30's and maybe that makes it harder to find being depression era

P1140002.jpg

Canadacan

Reaction score
Haha!!..hey good for you that it worked out so you could get the bottle!

RCO

Reaction score
( from a 1911 era book about Oshawa , bit earlier than this bottle but some history about the company )

OSHAWA BOTTLING WORKS.
Ford Martin, Proprietor.
In the manufacture of soft drinks the name
of the Oshawa Bottling Works is a prominent
one, and the trade done by this house extends
all through this section of the country. The
business was established about fifteen years
ago, although Mr. Ford Martin, the present
proprietor, has just recently taken possession
of it. The bottling works are situated at 9
Bond St., and are well equipped with modern
mixing, washing and bottling machines,
run by steam. The success of the business is
based entirely on the merits of the goods
turned out, fifteen different kinds of drinks
being made.
Mr. Martin is largely increasing his trade
among hotels, restaurants and private families
who want the best in carbonated waters,
ginger ale, ginger beer, etc. The entire plant
is kept in the cleanest and most sanitary
condition possible, and this, together with the
modern machinery used, and the purest of ingredients,
tend to make summer drinks which
are the equal of any on the market.

http://localhistory.oshawalibrary.ca/pdfportal/pdfskins/OshawaIllustrated/pg_0026.pdf

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
R Irvine was in smiths falls from 1896-1909 according to book , haven't seen the bottle that many times , maybe a couple over the years so it might not be that common , there was one on ebay last year , have a picture of that one

View attachment 181111

Oh cool! I'll have to keep an eye out for that one, never seen one in person before. Do you know if there were any other locations that Irvine operated out of? Even three locations was quite impressive for that era for a non-franchise independent Canadian bottler.

RCO

Reaction score
I don't think there was any other R Irvine locations , my book only lists those 3 and can't recall ever seeing any other bottles

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi