Department of Health City of Baltimore cobalt bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
I got this for free for my birthday from an antique store owner. I would like to know the contents that would've been inside and what it was used for.
20180121_133456.jpg

nhpharm

Reaction score
Tuberculosis Sputum container. In the 1910's-1930's, a bunch of states and cities had these containers that people suspected of having tuberculosis would put a sample in and they would be mailed off to a laboratory for testing. Very cool example...You see a few different versions but this is probably the neatest one I have seen.

botlguy

Reaction score
Tuberculosis Sputum container. In the 1910's-1930's, a bunch of states and cities had these containers that people suspected of having tuberculosis would put a sample in and they would be mailed off to a laboratory for testing. Very cool example...You see a few different versions but this is probably the neatest one I have seen.
Great explanation, I had never heard of that before and never seen one of this containers.
Jim S

nhpharm

Reaction score
Probably not more than $20 or so would be my guess.

nhpharm

Reaction score
Yep...the majority of them look like clear straight-sided shot glasses. I have several from New Hampshire in their original shipping tubes and so forth. Tuberculosis was a big deal back then for sure.

PlaneDiggerCam

Reaction score
Southeastern CT, U.S.A. Also in Adams & York Co,
At first I passed by it thinking it was not embossed. I took a closer look and it was! I couldn't believe I almost missed it. That just shows that you should always double check (especially cobalt:)). Now all I need to do is find a CT one!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi