Belle Isle Beverages - 30 oz bottle Toronto Ont

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RCO

Reaction score
came across this bottle last weekend when I had went to an antique mall to buy another bottle I had seen earlier , I noticed the seller had put out some new 30 oz bottles , one intrigued me and was surprised to see it was from Toronto , the price was reasonable so bought it as well

but a week later I'm still not really sure what I bought last weekend

did a search online and thru all my various bottles books but was able to come
up with nothing on this bottle or company that produced it . couldn't find any pictures anywhere of any other examples

so turned to the bottle itself to try and get more clues about it .

its condition is actually pretty good and acl nice with only some wear , standard clear 30 oz bottle made by dominion , mark L 5 4 5959 on bottom , it seems to be from the 50's or 60's era

can't find anything on " belle isle beverages " in Toronto Ontario or on a belle isle beverages anywhere .
my book lists a Belle Beverages in Belleville Ontario in the 50's but don't think there related

the acl theme itself is clearly "nautical " is a bird , boat , life preserver

so being from Toronto , its either trying to connect to the great lakes as Toronto is on lake Ontario .
or its an east coast theme ? as there is a belle isle in Newfoundland and is a lot of east coast people who live in Toronto .

but I'm surprised that I'm able to find so little about it , the books I have are very extensive , so to be unlisted seems odd , also haven't seen the bottle itself or smaller sized bottles from belle isle before , which was partly why I bought it

perhaps someone out there knows more about it ?

belleisle-toronto1.jpgbelleisle-toronto2.jpgbelleisle-toronto3.jpg

RCO

Reaction score
post is kind of confusing but basically I'm not really sure what I bought ? or if its maybe a much more desirable acl than I realised ?

one of the few things I found online about it was its mentioned on the "chris weide " want list , a collector trying to buy just about every bottle , although I though some of the Canadians bottles he was looking for were fairly common here , anyways

he lists a Belle isle beverages bottle from Toronto - clear 30 oz green\white . with a life preserver , gull , sail boats , sea , embossing ( Toronto cn) 60

( not sure what the 60 means ? did he think that was the year it produced ? )

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
That's an interesting one, I've definitely never seen one before. I wouldn't expect that design from a Toronto bottler, it looks like it should be from some vacation location. I do feel that the design may be more attempting to evoke a generic summer vacation idea than specifically referring to either the cold and fairly remote Strait of Belle Isle or Belle Isle Park in Detroit. The sailboat looks like a pleasure craft and not the sort of boat that commonly sails through the Strait of Belle Isle.

If I'm interpreting your transcription of the base correctly it should have been made in either 1954 or 1964. 1974 seems too late but I could be wrong. Sorry I don't have more information but it's definitely a nice find!

hemihampton

Reaction score
Interesting. There is a Belle Isle Park or island in the middle of the Detroit River which was a huge Popular Visitation/Picnic spot since the late 1800's. They made a Belle Isle milk bottle from Detroit. LEON.

RCO

Reaction score
Interesting. There is a Belle Isle Park or island in the middle of the Detroit River which was a huge Popular Visitation/Picnic spot since the late 1800's. They made a Belle Isle milk bottle from Detroit. LEON.

I doubt it has any connection to Detroit though , when I looked online there seemed to be 3 locations in north America named "belle isle " belle isle Michigan , Belle isle Virginia and Belle Isle Newfoundland , none of which are that close to Toronto and its hard to figure out how or why they choose this name ?

RCO

Reaction score
That's an interesting one, I've definitely never seen one before. I wouldn't expect that design from a Toronto bottler, it looks like it should be from some vacation location. I do feel that the design may be more attempting to evoke a generic summer vacation idea than specifically referring to either the cold and fairly remote Strait of Belle Isle or Belle Isle Park in Detroit. The sailboat looks like a pleasure craft and not the sort of boat that commonly sails through the Strait of Belle Isle.

If I'm interpreting your transcription of the base correctly it should have been made in either 1954 or 1964. 1974 seems too late but I could be wrong. Sorry I don't have more information but it's definitely a nice find!

I agree it doesn't seem like the type of design you'd see from a Toronto bottler . and does have a summer or vacation destination feel to it .

there is no ML or French on the bottle so 74 would seem too late , I'd really have to think its from mid 50's or early 60's , so it should of been listed in my one book but wasn't , whatever reason the company name didn't come up when they searched thru the old directories and so it wasn't included

but either way its an interesting bottle and perhaps I will learn more about eventually , I can't recall finding a bottle from this time period that I was unable to find anything about

M.C.Glass

Reaction score
There was a Belle Isle Dairy in Detroit and there are some milk bottles out there, but I never saw an ACL til now.

RCO

Reaction score
There was a Belle Isle Dairy in Detroit and there are some milk bottles out there, but I never saw an ACL til now.

its from Toronto , so I doubt it has any connection to the Detroit area , unless it was being shipped to Windsor Ontario which seems unlikely as there was already bottlers there

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jwt@ky