Bartow Bottling Works, Bartow, FL light purple bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bradster582c

Reaction score
I am posting a few photos of a bottle I bought at auction. Anyone with any good information about it please reply. This bottle has the embossed words across bottom that says, 'This bottle is not sold and must be returned'. I'm only guessing that it was a sales sample. The mold seam stops before it gets to the lip and there is a chip out of bottom edge. There are also air bubbles in glass from manufacturing.
Bott1.jpgBott2.jpgBott3.jpgBott4.jpg

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
This Bottle Not To Be Sold (in some form or another) was on most 1890s-1910s soft-drink, alcohol, and water bottles as the bottlers didn't want to keep buying new bottles. Most towns, even small ones, tended to have their own bottling works. "Registered" is seen on those that registered as a legal business holding to all state laws (sanitation purposes) in the production and distribution of their products.
As I'm sure you know, that the seam stops before the lip tells us (on most-- not all) bottles, that it was blown into a mould and the top finished with a tool. Thus, it's a tooled top. These you don't see much after 1920. This works nicely with its colour, which happens to be from manganese in the glass turning purple due to solar radiation. You don't usually see Sun-Coloured Amethyst (SCA) bottles in America after 1920 as the glass-makers began using different materials in WW1.

Bradster582c

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. This one caught my eye for sure and I've been collecting bottles for some time. I will have it evaluated locally to learn its desirability.

logueb

Reaction score
There is a photo of the Bartow Bottling Works on the internet. This company was a Coca Cola bottler. There also are bottles with both the Bartow Bottling Works and Coca Cola script on the same bottle, which makes it more desirable. Still this is a great bottle for its age and a great amethyst color. I would have snapped it up at an auction also. Buster

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fancy2cu