Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sam

Reaction score
F14A2A0A-7320-4CB6-ACAA-7A6917D40E05.jpgFound this at my land up in oconto wis. Can anyone give me an explanation?

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
A huge, long-time bottler in Wisconsin. I think he was around in both the later 1800s till the 1930s, as I saw a Zeppelin bottle I thought was attributed to his company (I could be wrong, though.)
Fairly common but a good-looking bottle.
I never could figure out his slogan. I've wondered on it for almost four years.
If you wonder how it got there, you're not so far away. Products have always traveled the country, even 120 years ago. Alcohol is especially common.

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I never could figure out his slogan. I've wondered on it for almost four years.

I think it's heavy 19th century American working class slang for "The best that you can get." "What" was informally used in place of "that" and although I've never heard "gives" used in that context there isn't much else that it could mean. It's definitely an unusual slogan! I'm guessing it was used for comedic effect.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hi Sam,
Welcome! I am from Wisconsin and I have found a few of these. I have come to enjoy the phrase the best what gives. I saw an ebay auction once that was getting no bids and the seller typed HEY! WHAT GIVES? which I thought was pretty good bottle humor.

John Graf was a prolific brewer and soda bottler. Your example is a weiss beer and it is not super rare. It is cool, though, and a great example of how heavy duty those bottles were made. Below is a link to a John Graf post I made years ago with nice pictures and some historical info. Hope that helps a little . . .

https://www.antique-bottles.net/showthread.php?241785-John-Graf&p=241785#post241785

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Coronado