Crackle bottle...help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

shotdwn

Reaction score
That shows that it can be done either in a factory or after the fact but it can be done. We will just have to agree to disagree on the bottle in question. It was nice discussing this with you and at least we present both possibilities.

botlguy

Reaction score
That shows that it can be done either in a factory or after the fact but it can be done. We will just have to agree to disagree on the bottle in question. It was nice discussing this with you and at least we present both possibilities.
I agree that it could be done in either time frame. My point was that it could be done and still hold product. Properly done the process does not weaken the glass. I'm tempted to try it with an old, plain whiskey bottle I have. I'll just have to borrow a bomb suit.

Rusty

Reaction score
Thank you for the comments and information on this. I’m looking at listing it on eBay. Any thoughts on what it my be worth?

clemsongrl30

Reaction score
Hi I have a book on antique bottles of you would like to have it. Also I have antique price guide books too if interested

epackage

Reaction score
It's an interesting piece, as for value there's not much there, I'd be surprised if you could find a buyer at more than $15-20, it it was a nice color you might be able to double that, it basically has decorator value as is IMHO...

David Fertig

Reaction score
I have made insulators like this in the past. Basically heat and then rapid cool. Some times they crack in a couple parts, sometimes they crumble, and sometimes they stay together. I had rather crude non-scientific methods - put in Mom's oven and then submerge in a sink of ice water.

I am sure with controlled conditions, you could easily do this and let the neck not crackled.

As to coloring - just put some food color in the water. I think I did that and it worked.

My opinion of the bottle in question is that it was done after manufacture as a craft project. I cannot see the mold seams, so I cannot guess at a year, but do not see any Federal Law Forbids... or such, so assume that it is maybe TOC. As to value, if it were mine, I'd be happy with $5 as the bottle itself has no value and the crackling puts it into the decorator/craft market. This is not to say that you can't tie a ribbon around it and some cutesy saying and get $15 or $20. Maybe start it at $19.99 and hope to get a buyer. But I wouldn't expect competitive bidding.

Reaction score
I have a bottle with crackle glass, that we dug out of an old dump, circa 1890-1940 range. Mine has Owens Illinois markings. 27710039_10211099500191944_5609819698169172172_o.jpg

Last edited:

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Likely that one came from a dump that they burned over. it didn't get hot enough to melt it but there was enough heat change to alter the glass. I've seen that happen before.

Jim G

I have a bottle with crackle glass, that we dug out of an old dump, circa 1890-1940 range. Mine has Owens Illinois markings.View attachment 181423

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marenjch