Owens-Illinois Base ID Identification Help

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Oldreb

Reaction score
I found this bottle at an old South Carolina Log Camp site the other day. I figured out it has an Owens-Illinois base mark but the described production year / plant / mold sequence did not match the way it is stamped. All the marks are below the O - I mark. The stamp sequence (from top to bottom) is " O-I - 71 - X - 6 ". The side seams run from the separately seamed base to the top. The interior cavity is irregular at the base. The glass is clear. My guess is that it perhaps had a cork stopper -- maybe being a medicine bottle ?? Any help in identifying this bottle will be greatly appreciated. If additional information / pictures are needed please let me know. Thanks !!

Attachments

• LogCamp1.jpg
    LogCamp1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 215
  • LogCamp2.jpg
    LogCamp2.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 212
  • LogCamp3.jpg
    LogCamp3.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 222
  • LogCamp4.jpg
    LogCamp4.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 236

logueb

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Oldreb. The Owens / Illinois combination puts the date after the 1929 merger. It's a common flavoring/ extract bottle. I would guess that the "1" could be the year 1931. Over the years , I've seen many of these uneven machine made bottles. They are very common. Hope this helps in some way. Buster

Oldreb

Reaction score
Buster -- thanks for your reply and information -- just what I was looking for !! The date you stated falls right in line with when the log camp was in operation. It being a flavoring / extract bottle also fits as I'm sure the camp cook had to flavor up the beans from time to time to keep the loggers happy !! I also found what I think is a much older bottle out around an old house site on the same tract. The color, seams and top are much different than this one. There are no ID marks of any kind on it. I will post it up when I get some time.

Best Regards,
Wayne

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rrenzi