My Clay spot

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Hi Bob I would say $100 bucks to strap a tank on is fair. Fill is $6-7, suiting up & un-suiting, gear cost, actual time underwater looking.
Pretty lame no nothing from the Musky guys. I see some very big turtles some (not tellin fish stories) almost as big as a coffee table.
My worst scare was in a smalll lake, I was digging an area and creating zero viz conditions. I was trying to create a current to clear my area of
the silt I stirred up. Slowly coming into view right at the hole I was digging is the "Biggest Snapper" 18" from my face. He seemed to be all puffed
up in a way protecting his area. I backed away, he didn't. Typing this now I just got a shiver up my spine! Normally in better viz you can see them, there's
a moment you and the turtle size each other up and then go your separate ways. I have been attached swimming w just a mask by a catfish getting close
to this moving ball of what turned out to be hundreds of baby catfish. I mist have got a spike in my foot, as it swelled up bigtime. If you see one stay away.

Attachments

• e9142291cea2f1fa7ae3358b5d19adc0.jpg
    e9142291cea2f1fa7ae3358b5d19adc0.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 328
  • 38283141_12770873e2_z.jpg
    38283141_12770873e2_z.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 323
  • showcase.jpg
    showcase.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Nice tip.
The biggest snapper I've seen here is in the 25 to 30 pound range. Way smaller than your picture.
I have fish bump me or bonk me pretty hard. Those were low visibility rivers where the fish just freaked out when I cornered them. Once I thought that I had been hit with an oar but when I surfaced, there was no boat.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I seen lots of Snappers & that's by far the biggest one I ever seen. LEON.

seaeo1

Reaction score
Cool thread guys! Love the stories. I havent posted much but I've been bottle diving for 20 years. I own a marine towing, salvage & dive company in New York. Been "Black Water" diving all my life. Mostly in Long Island Sound ( New York & Connecticut waters). Have found many dumping sites pre- 1900 as well as many wrecks over the years. Will try to post some pics and stories of my finds if anyone is interested.

coldwater diver

Reaction score
Hemi just so you know thats not me in photo, Im crazy but I like my life just the way it is. I can just see a photo shoot like that go in the wrong direction quickly. But thats as big as some I swim past in New England. Seaeo1 , same as Bob I would love to see what you have found and hear what your dives are like, I'm a transplant from the Big Apple myself, to Maine but was certified for open water diving in Bayside NY.

sandchip

Reaction score
I would've pooped my suit! If that snapper could only talk. One that big would have to be well over 100 years old. It could tell you where all the dumping sites are! I know you can hear anything, but I've heard of them being found in the past with arrowheads and minnie balls embedded in them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panama Canal digger