Felix "the cat " acl Ginger ale bottle Vancouver BC

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
I've always wanted to get one of those Felix bottles. I once got quite a shock when I saw the top label of a Felix paper label bottle poking up out of a box of cheap bottles at an antique store on the island, only to find that 80% of the body label was missing (I bought it anyway, it was only $2 or so). Other than that don't have any Felix bottles other than the "Ye Old..." ginger beer bottle which is not worth nearly as much as the others.

HouTxSoda

Reaction score
iu

Historical-Info-Service

Collector of BC Bottles and History, Historian
Reaction score
I believe this was posted by me a couple years back on here, note the tray mentions 'Club Sodas' ...that in a paper label would be considered extremely rare!
I have a Felix Club Soda. It's not in great shape but still legible. I also have bottle opener that lists Club Soda, Dry Ginger Ale, Orange Dy and Grapefruit Dry on it.

Attachments

• received_573037186494063.jpg
    received_573037186494063.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 279

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
Oh wow! This is the first example of that one I've ever seen. Do you know if any others exist? People from out of province might not appreciate that one, but it's almost without a doubt BC's most desirable (and valuable) ABM bottle, and I'd never heard of a surviving example until today. The Royal BC Museum, which has a collection of some of BC's best bottles, has a ginger ale version but not one of these (or didn't the last time I visited). Even in that condition, it's a really special bottle. Take good care of that one!

Is there anything embossed on the bottle itself? The label looks to me to predate the typical ginger ale label. I wonder if maybe there's an earlier ginger ale design as well. I notice there's some sort of ring on the neck, is it a reused Canada Dry bottle?

Canadacan

Reaction score
Yup there it is...thanks for posting @Moosecop !!!, first I've seen but knew it was out there somewhere!
Yes quite possible it's older than the known GA labels, or they just used a bit different label design for club soda.

I just busted down the door to some amazing history on Felix....I'm going to have to start a new thread and try and take it from the top.
It's going to take a bit to put it together but some of it is mind blowing!

Last edited:

RCO

Reaction score
definitely an interesting paper label bottle and neat to see , don't see a lot of unique paper labels bottles even though a lot likely existed at some point in time . they just didn't survive much especially in good condition

CanadianBottles

Reaction score
definitely an interesting paper label bottle and neat to see , don't see a lot of unique paper labels bottles even though a lot likely existed at some point in time . they just didn't survive much especially in good condition
Yeah local paper label sodas are super hard to find. That's one thing I'm willing to pay far more for than I am anything else because of how rare they are. I've still only got one in my collection (not counting my badly damaged Felix), and it's the only example I've ever heard of.

Historical-Info-Service

Collector of BC Bottles and History, Historian
Reaction score
Yes @CanadianBottles it is a reused Canada Dry 12 oz bottle. The neck label says 12 oz. There is a surviving 30 oz in amazing condition at the Museum of Vancouver but they do not have a high resolution image on their website. Screenshot_20190221-121837_Chrome.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora