What is this?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

margaret.clarkson

Reaction score
My husband's aunt passed away at the end of December. She was the last of 3 generations to live in the Darlington, SC house. We found this interesting item while working on cleaning out this house this past Saturday.

According to "The South Carolina Dispensary" book by Phillip Huggins, this is the same stamp as Jo-JO Flask No. 228. I've reached out to a few local folks to find out any information I can, but they haven't had answers.

It seems to be porcelain. Does anyone have any ideas?
SC DISPENSARY 1.jpgSC DISPENSARY 2.jpg

saratogadriver

Reaction score
Is it a lid for a porcelain box of some sort? Can't tell from the pics. Or maybe an advertising or display piece? Either way, knowing SC Dispensary values based on stuff on here, I bet that sucker is worth some serious coin.

Jim G

margaret.clarkson

Reaction score
That's a pretty awesome theory! I'm going back on Sunday. I'll see if I can find anymore pieces or clues. My husband's theory is that it was a paperweight on some official's desk.

I may reach out to the SC State Museum early next week.

shotdwn

Reaction score
I don't know what it is for sure but looking at the picture it gives me the impression it may be a ceramic tile. That is going by how flat it looks and the way the impression on it stands out. I could be totally wrong though.

margaret.clarkson

Reaction score
I grabbed the block/tile/thing from the house on Sunday when I was down there cleaning. It has the initials "ILY" on the back. I'm going to reach out to the SC Museum today.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kimp