Could really use help in confirming ID?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Julie

Reaction score
IMG_7871.jpgIMG_7867.jpgIMG_7872.jpgIMG_7870.jpgIMG_7866.jpgIMG_7869.jpgIMG_7866.jpg

I think it is possibly a Continental pocket flask as opposed to a Colonial one (because of the carving to flatten around the "teeter points" around the pontil, which I read was something to be found on British flasks). It is daisy within diamond over flutes in design. I have seen this flask in amethyst but never in this shade of green. 2 things: the camera isn't very good and doesn't capture the color quite, which is deep forest with a hint of teal. The photos were also taken at night, and the flask is reflecting surrounding shapes and colors.

Any help would be very appreciated!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Wish I had better news but everything about it says repro. I'm sure there are other members who know a little more than I do about it.

sandchip

Reaction score
I would have to agree with RI. Beautiful color though!

Julie

Reaction score
Could really use help in confirming ID

I would have to agree with RI. Beautiful color though!

Thanks. I had read that The Met had made reproductions, but that they were marked. I assumed they would be marked in the mold itself, but this one isn't.

If I may pick your brains a bit, why would you decide that, I mean, on what basis? I just want to understand the reasons. I tend to think so, simply because of the sheer rarity of actually finding a piece from that period at all....though I've been hopeful.

And even if it is, I just love it regardless.

Thanks for letting me in on why you think so, please ?

Robby Raccoon

Trash Digger
Reaction score
The mouth is too perfect. The mould wasn't deeply cut. The pontil is incorrect in style. And the colour isn't usually teal at that time, as far as I know.

hemihampton

Reaction score
The whole bottle is to perfect, would be full of air bubbles (big & small) in the glass also, don't see any. Pontil to smooth, looks like a repro to me. LEON.

Julie

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the specific criticisms! I appreciate that.

As for air bubbles, there are lots of tiny ones and a few bigger ones, but my camera doesn't capture them. I will (just for the sake of thoroughness) have my DIL use her great camera to take snapshots and then you'll be able to see 'em.....And as far as the color goes, here is an image of a snippet of an article describing "deep green" as a color used in those days.
green flasks.jpg

saratogadriver

Reaction score
The grinding on the base looks like it's trying to deceive, to make it look like base wear when it's really been done with a sanding or grinding device. Some of these bottles were thinner glass and some were thicker, but this one definitely looks a little too thick to my eye. Agreed with others the neck is too perfect, and the pattern doesn't look deep enough. These are very hard to judge though. As long as you didn't spends hundreds on it, the important thing is that you like it. End of the day... that's what should really matter to a collector.

Jim G

jarhead67

Reaction score
I can confirm that's a modern piece commissioned by the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I have the exact same piece, and pattern, but in 7UP green. They commissioned different designs. My grandmother had a lot of art glass in her house and I ended up with a couple. You should see a MMA etched into the bottom near the pontil, though it might be very faint or worn off. Sorry, my pictures aren't as good as yours, but hope they help.

https://www.antique-bottles.net/showthread.php?102191-M-M-A-Flasks

Attachments

• 20180314_135256.jpg
    20180314_135256.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 274
  • 20180314_135350.jpg
    20180314_135350.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 259
  • 20180314_135322.jpg
    20180314_135322.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 280
  • 20180314_135315.jpg
    20180314_135315.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 262
Last edited:

sandchip

Reaction score
Here's a picture of an authentic daisy in diamond flask. How it was blown into a pattern mold, removed, then expanded, is apparent in the difference between the shoulder/neck area and the body of the bottle. Yours was blown (I believe) into a full size mold made to imitate the look without the trouble of the original process. And as Bear mentioned, I don't know of them ever being blown in that color, but usually in shades of amethyst. The glass just doesn't have the character and texture of the early pieces. It's funny how the early gaffers strove for perfection while producing wonderfully crude bottles, while the later companies, having the technology to make them perfect, tried to make theirs look crude, yet falling far short of the early containers' charm.

daidy in diamond.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TracyPecora