Could really use help in confirming ID?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Julie

Reaction score
Could really use help in confirming ID

Here's a picture of an authentic daisy in diamond flask. How it was blown into a pattern mold, removed, then expanded, is apparent in the difference between the shoulder/neck area and the body of the bottle. Yours was blown (I believe) into a full size mold made to imitate the look without the trouble of the original process. And as Bear mentioned, I don't know of them ever being blown in that color, but usually in shades of amethyst. The glass just doesn't have the character and texture of the early pieces. It's funny how the early gaffers strove for perfection while producing wonderfully crude bottles, while the later companies, having the technology to make them perfect, tried to make theirs look crude, yet falling far short of the early containers' charm.

View attachment 181895

Thanks for all the help everyone. The glass does have bubbles, the flat (ground) bottoms are found on continental flasks, and were always considered to be far superior (read: perfect) to the colonial versions, and the thickness of the glass is partly an illusion in my pictures because the photos were taken at night and the glass is not showing transparent but reflective....it also is not marked MMA. However, you are all probably right (and I still love the piece regardless)...but I am not yet 100% convinced. I am a thorough-minded person who needs solid, irrefutable evidence before I make up my mind, but again, I believe there is a high probability that you are all correct in your pronouncement that it is a reproduction. Thank you! :) Daylight pictures to come.

hemihampton

Reaction score
I think it would take a Professional to examine it in person to be sure as pics can be deceiving. Otherwise we or I are guessing from from what we can see in pics & I know I'm no flask expert. But still leaning towards reproduction. LEON.

NC btl-dvr

Reaction score
Another way to think about it is something (presumably)that old, that was made to be utilitarian and still looks like it just came out of the glass shop. Believe me, we all want to find that one undiscovered piece of glass but you're getting advice from several hundred years worth of glass collectors here.
Jay

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Excellent post Sand! I really like your comments about the authentic blowers aiming for perfection but crudely, while the imitation modern ones aimed for crudity but did it too uniformly perfect. Nice.

jarhead67

Reaction score
Julie, Leon is right. If ANY doubt remains, take it in to someone with professional knowledge who can look at it in hand. I would do the same if I felt completely unsure about anything as well. I never should have said I "confirm" it and apologize for doing so.

Jeff

Julie

Reaction score
Could really use help in confirming ID

Julie, Leon is right. If ANY doubt remains, take it in to someone with professional knowledge who can look at it in hand. I would do the same if I felt completely unsure about anything as well. I never should have said I "confirm" it and apologize for doing so.

Jeff

Jeff, I think I should, just to rule out any possibility.....and no need to apologize, but I do believe you are correct in that if one is unsure, one should take it to a professional who can actually hold it and see it in hand. Everyone did make excellent points and I realize that I am very much the novice here. I have always just loved this piece, and when I thought it could be very old, it was actually unsettling...lol...so I would be totally fine with me if it were worth (more than I paid) but only relatively few dollars. (I think I paid about $6 and change). If it is a repro (again, probably!) - it is still a glorious picture of a bygone era. I love the little impression in the glass where the thumb would settle, makes it easy to hold!

Thanks all! I would still like to include a few daylight pictures, but I found that I can just use my iPad...so soon...not that anyone is waiting, lol.

My heartfelt thanks to all.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karjes18